Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Winning Eleven 9 on Xbox Live Tourney

IGN just posted their review for the 360 version; they said that the gameplay is the same standard awesomeness, but nothing else is new. The graphics are pretty meh compared to other HD 360 games, the German league is gone (except for Bayern Munich), and there are no editing options. Even if you want to do it manually you can't change team names or player names, only player attributes. WTF???
Old 02-06-2007, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Beat: Gamestop never gets games until 1 day after release, so I have to wait until Wednesday. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh>>?> i have gotten numerous games at midnight of the launch from gamestop. i have no idea what you aretalking about.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:56 PM

I was referring to the Gamestop in my city, which doesn't get games until a day after launch, unless they were just lying to me on the phone every time I've called up to ask about when they'll get a game.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was referring to the Gamestop in my city, which doesn't get games until a day after launch, unless they were just lying to me on the phone every time I've called up to ask about when they'll get a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. The guy at EB Games said they ship on the "release date" and they get them a day later. So tomorrow it is.

KJS
Old 02-06-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IGN just posted their review for the 360 version; they said that the gameplay is the same standard awesomeness, but nothing else is new. The graphics are pretty meh compared to other HD 360 games, the German league is gone (except for Bayern Munich), and there are no editing options. Even if you want to do it manually you can't change team names or player names, only player attributes. WTF???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, not a stellar review. But I am addicted to this franchise so I bought the 360 just to get this game. (Gears of War is worth a lot of the price too, IMO). Personally, I play almost exclusively on XBL just because it is sooo much more fun to play human opponents. So I could care less about the lack of editing.

It sounds like some gameplay stuff did get positive tweeks.

KJS
Old 02-06-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone make a website and let's set up a 2p2 WE league.
We can play each other twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am totally in for this. I know nothing about web sites though.

KJS
Old 02-08-2007, 04:20 PM

Quick review: Game looks great, gameplay seems to have a few tweaks. Edit mode and XBL: major downgrades.

For me the fact that you cannot easily play the same opponent in XBL is a major loss. It was great in WE9 to find a good opponent and reel off 5 games, pausing just to pick new teams. No chance of that now. Just play and go back to the lobby.

A few comments on gameplay: It seems like maybe they did a few things to make scoring easier. Through passes from distance through the middle of the pitch are way way too easy for a good striker to get on the end of. Henry burned John Terry multiple times in one of my games. Should not happen. Also I saw more rebound goals in one night than in a year of WE9. Shoot, keeper parry, SS or WF rebounds it in-- happened in nearly 1/2 the games I played. Can be frustrating when combined with strikers getting more space for shots in general.

My biggest general complaint is with goal kicks. In the last version they put a striker up front on them so it was do-able but risky to have the keeper do a short pass to a LB or RB and have them advance it. They don't do that anymore. But they also make it nearly impossible to advance the ball towards your goal from a kick taken long. I could not for the life of me do a flick-on pass from a goal kick. My guy would get under the ball and then rocket a header 20 yards backwards towards my own goal instead of trying to get it up field to a forward. So you are basically forced to take short goal kicks. And in general it is harder to play any long ball-flick-run into space football, which can be handy if you are down in the match.

Gonna take some practice to get good at this new version. But I was glad that it seemed like more opponents around in general. We'll see after it has been out for a bit.

KJS
Old 02-08-2007, 07:18 PM

lol, I just added you to my XBL friends before going to class and reading this now I can tell you're going to crush me in every game. Playing earlier today, I did significantly better by only controlling forwards and letting the CPU handle all my defense; this is probably a very bad sign.

Also, I've only played a few player matches (I assume you were playing ranked) but in the player matches there's a rematch option when the match ends.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest general complaint is with goal kicks. In the last version they put a striker up front on them so it was do-able but risky to have the keeper do a short pass to a LB or RB and have them advance it. They don't do that anymore. But they also make it nearly impossible to advance the ball towards your goal from a kick taken long. I could not for the life of me do a flick-on pass from a goal kick. My guy would get under the ball and then rocket a header 20 yards backwards towards my own goal instead of trying to get it up field to a forward. So you are basically forced to take short goal kicks. And in general it is harder to play any long ball-flick-run into space football, which can be handy if you are down in the match.

[/ QUOTE ]

short balls are not a problem, i've yet to be challenged on that. did you crank up your difficulty?

i have not had any problems with flicking on. sure you cannot do it every time, but that's true for "real" football.

as for the long ball, i'm glad it's not too easy to long ball it all day for quick easy chances. on the default difficulty i find it perfect enough to have to fight/battle for field position.

i'm new to the WE franchise and i'm so pumped i picked this up. FIFA is ok, but too much of an arcade feel.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:58 AM

browsing gametrailers.com today and saw that the Uefa Champions League game is coming out soon...looks absolutely amazing in every aspect. but the "player card" feature looks sick