Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Interesting River Card

I had recently sat down at the table so I had no real reads on anyone. I made a standard raise in the cut off with J9s. When the guy bet out on the flop I was fairly sure he was weak and I thought I could raise and steal the pot from him so I raised. On, the turn when he bet I wasn't sure what to do. I thought he may have had a flush but I wasn't sure. I thought I couldn't fold though since I was getting such good pot odds. On the river I hit my gin card. On the river though, once he bet I wasn't sure if I should raise. What do you think? Do you think he is going to call with a worse hand? Would I have been losing equity had I just called?
Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG: $16.95
Hero (CO): $25.15
BTN: $12.20
SB: $9.95
BB: $38.50

Pre-Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, 3 folds, UTG calls $1

Flop: ($2.85) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $0.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.50</font>, UTG calls $2

Turn: ($7.85) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $0.50</font>, Hero calls $0.50

River: ($8.85) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $3</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $9.50</font>, UTG calls $6.50
Old 11-12-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Interesting River Card

When Villain pulls his second donkbet on the turn, it sort of looks like he has a card with at least one heart in it -- and a K looks like a likely candidate -- but who knows? Maybe he just has a heartless JTo and hopes the scare card will freeze you up if he bets.

As for the river, hell if I know [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. I probably would have just called. But if I knew he was just going to call the raise, I'd make that raise. And I guess he doesn't have much more left behind anyway after calling. So raising is probably best.

Anyway, you will just get called sometimes by a low/medium flush after this river raise, but I wouldn't expect a shorty to exercise such caution.