Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Were you going to pay the $10 for live stats on Yahoo?
Yes, what fun is it without live stats? 18 66.67%
No, I'll just check in Monday and see if I won or lost 7 25.93%
I'm not sure. 2 7.41%
Just show me the results / I'm not in the league 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: ~~~ OFFICIAL YANKEES 2007 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS OR BUST THREAD ~~

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im probably just overreacting because this game put me on life tilt

[/ QUOTE ]

Take some advice from a long time Red Sox fan. Don't let this stuff do that to you. After the Sox blew it in 1986 I was very depressed for a while after and I'm not the type to be depressed about anything.

So I shook myself out of it and decided then and there, never again would I let myself get so emotionally attached. So, maybe I'm not quite so loyal a fan anymore but I sure do enjoy it more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a philly sports fan and have done the same thing. Its still fun to cheer for a team, but getting mad and being sad about sports is just pointless.

And please, would the ridiculous Yankee homers just accept the fact that this team is A) not good, B) injured, and C) dont like playing together/for the yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes we're homers because we think that the yankees' pythag record suggests they're going to have a much better second half, or that at least half the yankee hitters hitting absurdly below projection/expectation will pick it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mentioned this before, but sometimes you need to look deeper than the pythag. teams with bad bullpens (yankees) are going to lose lots of close games, which the pythag won't reflect.

however, I do think this Yankees team is better than their record suggests. they are far from the 97 win team that Vegas had listed, though.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: The Fact of the Matter is . . .

[ QUOTE ]
All I can go by is the evidence. 23-30. OK, maybe they're not this bad. Maybe. But they're nowhere close to a playoff caliber team. They're 10th in the league in ERA. They have 4 saves. The team that's in last place in team ERA has 13. Their save $ is 29%; the next worst team is at 57%. Their pitchers have struck out the fewest numnber of batters by far, yet given up the 3rd most walks. They have the second fewest quality starts. The right fielder has the lowest OPS, by far, of any AL right fielder. The center fielder is 9th out of 13; so is the 2nd baseman, two players that are supposed to be key elements of their lineup; the 1st baseman is 11th. The DH is injured, out indefinitely. Out of the pen, Myers, Proctor, Farnsworth, Henn, Villone, Bean and Vizcaino have combined for 78 walks against 68 strikeouts. One guy who's started four games for them has 15 walks and 6 strikeouts.

Mussina is 38. Rivera is 37. A-Rod, who was carrying the offense, hit .400 throuh April 23; he's hitting .224 since April 24.

Pain me as it does to admit it, I don't see any upside.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I see NY winning 85 games tops.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:00 PM

Why even play the season? Just go by the pythag and declare a winner without even playing.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why even play the season? Just go by the pythag and declare a winner without even playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. My feelings exactly.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:46 PM

yeah i agree it's really annoying when people try to make educated predictions based on advanced statistics instead of guessing and talking out their ass. i apply this line of thinking to poker as well which is why i'm a millionaire.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that you say this shows you have no idea what pythagorean wins are

kbz, you're right to an extent, but i still think they're running below expectation
Old 06-03-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i agree it's really annoying when people try to make educated predictions based on advanced statistics instead of guessing and talking out their ass. i apply this line of thinking to poker as well which is why i'm a millionaire.

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesnt make you any smarter if you look at the pythagorean record and assume they are unlucky. pythag's aren't "advanced", there's a lot of noise in it.

KBZ is also on with his point, teams with bad bullpens routinely have better pythag records than they may deserve, and it is probably more pronounced this early in the season.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesnt make you any smarter if you look at the pythagorean record and assume they are unlucky. pythag's aren't "advanced", there's a lot of noise in it.

KBZ is also on with his point, teams with bad bullpens routinely have better pythag records than they may deserve, and it is probably more pronounced this early in the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

but that argument does not account for the fact that any reasonable projection had their bullpen producing much more, which is a way of getting unlucky, so its square 1. rivera anyone?

now that also doesnt neceassrily mean they will turn it around either, but it DOES still suggest that they got unlucky.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:22 PM

they got unlucky with injuries to the starting pitching, but with the bullpen abuse/age, i'm not so sure how much they're missing realistic projections by. rivera obv is on the bad side, but bruney's 2.1 era is probably off by the same amount
Old 06-03-2007, 08:31 PM

someone get jorge to a craps table!!!!