Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: surprising comments on the bellagio from me

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
An interesting side note to the 12k tip. The end result will be less than $1 per down in the dealers pockets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying there were 12,000 downs dealt in that tournament? That doesn't sound right. It also presumes that no other players tipped, which also doesn't sound right. Hell, I tipped a 7th place finish in a Caesars daily, and other low finishers did as well, from what I saw.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are in fact at over 16,000 downs at present.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in the tournament SHE won. You can hardly hold her responsible to tip for the whole series of events, which is what you imply when you say her tip only comes to a dollar per down. That's ridiculous. It's that sort of attitude that inspires anti-tipping sentiment.

FWIW I've talked to dealers at Bay 101 about the WPT event held there, and they say it pays a lot better than normal cash game dealing.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
An interesting side note to the 12k tip. The end result will be less than $1 per down in the dealers pockets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying there were 12,000 downs dealt in that tournament? That doesn't sound right. It also presumes that no other players tipped, which also doesn't sound right. Hell, I tipped a 7th place finish in a Caesars daily, and other low finishers did as well, from what I saw.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are in fact at over 16,000 downs at present.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in the tournament SHE won. You can hardly hold her responsible to tip for the whole series of events, which is what you imply when you say her tip only comes to a dollar per down. That's ridiculous. It's that sort of attitude that inspires anti-tipping sentiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reading way too much into my original. As I said, "an interesting side note". What that means is that it's very much appreciated. AND 1 12k toke doesnt make our month. Yet we're very thankful to get it. Wait didnt I say that already? YOUR the one suggesting "we're" making her responsible for the whole series of events. Not us. Get off your high horse in suggesting we have an attitude. It's quite obvious your the one with the "attitude" in regards to toking.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:44 AM

To be honest, my first though when reading the comment about that $12K toke being less than 1 dollar per down was "hellfire, then, we shouldn't toke at all if $12K turns into <$2/hr--it's chicken feed to the dealers but serious money to the player so why bother?" But hearing the explanation, I now understand what fishhead was saying.

It is slightly odd to look at it this way, though. As was stated, why not compute what her $12K toke did to the average hourly return on all the B's tourneys? While we're at it, include the daily tourneys, too. For that matter, how 'bout just tallying up the total man-hours worked by all the poker dealers in Bellagio for a year and figure out that her $12K added 2cents/hr to their income. Multiply it by a working lifetime of 45 years and it's not even a ten-of-a-cent per hour!

The fair way to be looking at it is her $10K toke to the dealers is probably close to $20/hr for dealing that tourney. From a single player who didn't even get all of first place money. If everybody who moneyed in the $3K event had toked 5% the dealers woulda scored something like $90/hr. She was hugely generous.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest, my first though when reading the comment about that $12K toke being less than 1 dollar per down was "hellfire, then, we shouldn't toke at all if $12K turns into <$2/hr--it's chicken feed to the dealers but serious money to the player so why bother?" But hearing the explanation, I now understand what fishhead was saying.

It is slightly odd to look at it this way, though. As was stated, why not compute what her $12K toke did to the average hourly return on all the B's tourneys? While we're at it, include the daily tourneys, too. For that matter, how 'bout just tallying up the total man-hours worked by all the poker dealers in Bellagio for a year and figure out that her $12K added 2cents/hr to their income. Multiply it by a working lifetime of 45 years and it's not even a ten-of-a-cent per hour!

The fair way to be looking at it is her $10K toke to the dealers is probably close to $20/hr for dealing that tourney. From a single player who didn't even get all of first place money. If everybody who moneyed in the $3K event had toked 5% the dealers woulda scored something like $90/hr. She was hugely generous.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing you learn when you make your living one dollar at a time is that those little $1 chips add up. Any time you get one dollar if you just focus on it, it is trivial. the single $1 means nothing -- can't pay my rent with it -- can't make my car payment -- can't buy groceries. But at the end of the night when you add up all those $1's suddenly I can pay my bills. Which is why poker deals all appreciate those little $1 tokes because we have learned how they add up.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A fair question indeed.

It remains to be seen whether the B will change their ways, or if they just act nicer when they are in the limelight. Truthfully I was almost shocked they let me into the tournament room at all, let alone with a beer and some buddies.

[/ QUOTE ] to my knowledge that is standard operating procedure, as long as you don't disrupt the tournament players your allowed to walk in the room. Of course that may change during the final tourny, but they usually allow this.

[ QUOTE ]
I have played there twice in the last month as well, each time having a mostly pleasant experience from brush to cashout. These are far from the norm of course.

[/ QUOTE ] Its not my favorite room to play mid-limit games in, but its the best option thats for sure. I was speaking to a dealer this evening when i learned that there was a recent firing of three floor staff, I cannot verify but it might be the reason why your opiniopn has suddenly changed. Even Bobba (who I think is a nice guy but others have complained) was on his best behavior the past two weeks. Nate was let go, although I liked his gruff attitude that was his eventual downfall I was told; I think he is the best example of what you wont see at the Bellagio any more.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:48 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

bigfishead-

What percent of the prize pool at the Bellagio is "withheld for the staff"? I can't find the information anywhere.