Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 07:52 PM

Default tells

I would like to start a thread here about tells. I think it’s the most entertaining part of the game. So just to get things rolling I'll start, I find that hand tells are the most reliable and spotable, if you study the players. One such tell I found was in a tourney in AC. I noticed a guy holding his hands in a cupped fashion over his chips when he was weak and unwilling to call any bets, and when he was still willing to draw or hade a good hand he keep his hands resting on the table one on either side of his chips. I found his tell to be %100 accurate and it saved me a lot of chips. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for in your replies.
ty
Old 04-20-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: tells

The most ridiculous tell I've ever spotted was a guy whose neck would be constantly throbbing whenever he hadn't made his hand yet and would be perfectly still if he had connected. No idea what the hell caused it, but it was on the money every time.

FWIW, the most overall reliable tell in general is the quick glance at the chips after the flop (or any other street). It's a subconscious action that means the person liked what they saw and are planning how to bet it. I love this one since you don't even need to have played with a player before to pick it up the first time it happens. It's really accurate, one of the most useful Caro mentions in his book and he really emphasizes it. If you haven't read that, by the way, get it.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:17 PM

Thanks, I am well aware of that tell and the neck one is common as well, although I never seen to spot the neck one and the glance at the chips one is gold but I don’t see that one much either.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most ridiculous tell I've ever spotted was a guy whose neck would be constantly throbbing whenever he hadn't made his hand yet and would be perfectly still if he had connected. No idea what the hell caused it, but it was on the money every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I give off this tell. It happens in thin people, you can see the carotid arteries pulsating in their neck when their heart beats fast due to exercise or in this case, the adrenergic response of drawing/bluffing.

To find the tell- a muscle in your neck (sternomastoid) runs from the top of your ribcage up the neck and behind the ear. Find this muscle in your neck. Your carotid pulse can be found just to the side of the sternomastoid about half way up the neck. Learn where the pulse is and look for it (usually in thin people)
Old 04-22-2007, 06:06 AM

spot the tell?

Verbal cues are one way of spotting them.

b
Old 04-22-2007, 05:25 PM

i noticed a tell in a live tourney: i had AQ early on and raised it up. my tell on this guy was that if his cards were junk he would shuffle them, and move them around on the table. i only had a very limited sample, but i was suprised when he called me in this hand after doing it. flop came Q rag rag, i bet out, he raised me AI for about 5 times my bet. i eventually called and he shows...........Q6 offsuit.

very strange......i have no idea what he was playing at, and tell was correct. one of the few times that tells are more reliable then betting patterns
Old 04-22-2007, 08:22 PM

I’ve heard it said that card shuffling usually means a draw. Good read on your part.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:50 PM

a big tell when someone is going to fold is if they have their cards in their hands and look like they are ready to fold out of turn. I think betting patterns are better tells for us internet guys cuz we know them so well by now that they are second nature, great thread, i want to see responses
Old 04-22-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a big tell when someone is going to fold is if they have their cards in their hands and look like they are ready to fold out of turn. I think betting patterns are better tells for us internet guys cuz we know them so well by now that they are second nature, great thread, i want to see responses

[/ QUOTE ]

In Caro's book, is feigning to fold out of turn not a sign of a huge hand? But yeah betting patterns ftw. Money talks.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:23 PM

No doubt betting patterns are the way to read a player and thus his hand, and that trumps tells. But still, I feel that finding a reliable tell is a sweet addition to this skill. Not to mention allot of fun.
I know its hard to spot but I have heard the most reliable tells are leg and feet tells but for the best and easiest tells I always go for hands 1st, body 2nd, and all the weak = strong acting stuff mike C talks about.