Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Special tournament type theory: Bounties

I was just curious about this since I played in one of these tournaments in a home game recently.

The buy in is X amount. $0 goes to the prize pool, $X goes to a bounty on your head. If you win the tournament you keep your own bounty. When you knock out another person, you receive their bounty.

How does your strategy change in this tournament? Are you more or less apt to make all in moves (calling or betting). Should you be more or less willing to play with big stacks?

Thoughts?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Special tournament type theory: Bounties

I've given this quite a bit of thought, I used to play in UB's bounty tourney. I can't even remember exactly what it was, like $140 or something with a $30 bounty.

I'd say that it all depends on the structure. If the tourney was set up like $110, and everyone has a $100 bounty on there head, with $10 going to the prize pool, then I'd guess that would change my strategy. Depending on how the other players where playing, I'd probably play extremely aggro right from the start and just try to break a few people and build a stack.

If the majority of the money goes into the prize pool though, I don't think you should change up too much. Just pick your spots to bust people and go as deep as you can, like you'd play any other tournament.

I'm sure someone smarter than me could give this a better analysis, but that's my take on it. The last time I final tabled that tournament on UB, I think I took 7th for around 2k, and had only knocked out 3 other people the whole tournament, so the bounties almost became insignificant.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Special tournament type theory: Bounties

The winner will get at least 2 times the buy-in. His own and the one of the player in second place that he must knock-out in the last hand.

The second placed player is not sure of getting anything at all, as he might not knock-out anyone. (Eventhough he could actually be the real winner).

So without going into any deep analysis of this, survival simply isn't as important as in normal price structures. That will have a major impact on your strategy.