FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Lion vs. Elephant
Lion 38 19.19%
Elephant 160 80.81%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: OOT expose your prejudice

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's funny that more people think less of those that use heroin than coke. people on coke are way more obnoxious than people on heroin.

[/ QUOTE ]

But heroin is far more destructive to your life.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:23 AM

Same for all except cigarettes, republican, heroin and the religious views (atheist, christian, muslim). Less for those obviously.

I would probably think less of someone for being in the army if I was from the US, because I have abnormal ideas about armies. But since it is not a voluntary thing in Norway, I'm not used to thinking like that. I am very surprised so many, presumably american, ooters think less of army-people, though.

edit: I don't think I would think less of people for not sharing my view on armies, since it is so uncommon to not believe in an army even for self defence. It would defeinitely be same, even if I placed myself in an American context.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
rundownhouse you're basically doing the same thing by saying that mormons annoy you and trying to project it onto all christians somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]
The point was that constant exposure to one group can easily bias you one way or another wrt all groups. I don't know anyone who's Baha'i - Anacardo, I guess - so I don't have an opinion one way or another. I do know tons of crazy-assed Southern Baptists, so I've formed a judgment about them.

I dunno, I feel like lots of people really take the "Don't judge people!" thing way too far. Of course I'm judging you. If I meet you on a corner screaming about God bringing the wrath of AIDS down on the gays, then I'm probably going to judge you so harshly that you don't ever have a chance to show me otherwise. If you tell me you've devoted your life to Jesus, or you're a heroin addict, or you just got back from Iraq, whatever, I'm going to judge you way less extremely, but I'm still going to apply a bias. You'll have your chance to affect it, but there it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, judge the person. but why project that judgement onto others you haven't met?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:59 PM

People who say "don't judge people", "judging others is wrong", "how can you judge him/her when you don't know all the facts" are very wrong, and hypocrites. Everyone judges other people every single day, whether they are aware of it or not.

That said, I answered "same" to all the poll questions. I think that people should be judged by their actions and character rather than the groups they are associated with or things they have done in the past. Maybe that doesn't actually make any sense, I'll have to think some more on it.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:23 PM

i love how OOT is ruled by christian hating democrats.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:34 PM

Few thoughts-

I associate coke with partying, smack with addicts, maybe this is wrong.

I voted less for both Christian and Muslim. It's not a "big" less, but it exists.

V. surprised by the smoker hate.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think it's funny that more people think less of those that use heroin than coke. people on coke are way more obnoxious than people on heroin.

[/ QUOTE ]

But heroin is far more destructive to your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

if abused, both [censored] up your life pretty good. if used recreationally (yes heroin can and is used recreationally by many people) neither turn you into a grandma-mugging, baby-killing addict in 30 seconds.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That said, I answered "same" to all the poll questions. I think that people should be judged by their actions and character

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't really make sense. AFAIK, doing heroin is an action and being very religious is related to character. Both are fine to base judgements off of imo. They DO tell you things about the person.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

7% more voted "less" for Christians, but 8% more voted "more" for Christians. It's obviously more divisive.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

7% more voted "less" for Christians, but 8% more voted "more" for Christians. It's obviously more divisive.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, the way u worded that is really messed up.