Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Movement of the Sun?

[ QUOTE ]
that was all a prologue to my example: what about jupiter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, close enough for government work.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're making fun of people who say the sky is aqua it is. ( a little weak I know I'm a guy so I don't know a lot of names for colors, I'm sure there's a lot closer colors than aqua)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that we aren't justified in making fun of the ancients, but I don't think we are quite the same as them either (even in general or at the median level).
Old 10-30-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Someone probably already answered this (IDNRTT), but the Sun orbits the galactic center about once every quarter of a billion years or so, and on its way round bobs up an down throught the DISK. I famously screwed up this very calculation in this very forum because I neglected the mass in the DISK, and "derived" that the period of oscillation was the same as the orbital period, when the correct answer is that the Sun bobs up and down about 7 times each orbit; the truly embarrasing part is that my research involves the simulation of gaseous disks. I can only plead that in my research the mass of the disk is completely negligible compared to the mass of the object it is orbiting. Plus stupidity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanx, Boro. Please can you clarify the "Disk" for no matter how I consider it the galaxy as if in a flat "Disk" is amazing. Can you expand on this and in particular what is above and below the "Disk"?

[/ QUOTE ]

For interest's sake, here again is that analysis.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The simplest, most intuitive (and therefore by human considerations, most accurate) view is that the earth revolves around the sun.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're kinda proving my point. simplest, most intuitive ... not most correct. I mean heck the simplest and most provable is that everyting revolves (not rotates) around the earth because I can go outside and watch stuff in the sky go around.

my point ultimately is that people today parrot the party lline just as they did way back, without real understanding.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you work your "party line" angle into climate change theory?