Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 02:49 PM

Default weak ace blind defense

Online 20/40 6 handed
villian is a decent lag regular. My notes say "missed riv value" but i think overall he's just normal not too bluffy and not too weak.

Villian raises co, i call in BB with Ac5d.

Flop is 944 with 2 diamonds. I check, he bets, I call. Turn is an offsuit Ace. I check, he bets *pretty* quickly, I wait for about 1-2 seconds and call.

River is Jd. I check again because donking feels stupid here.

Anyone suggest alternate lines?

If you are villian how would you play the turn/riv if you had either KK or JT?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: weak ace blind defense

If you are gonna call a river bet (and something tells me that you will) i prefer betting myself. I dont think a better ace (or even a 9) raises you often cause he is scared of the flush getting there and he might get curious and call with KK,QQ or even a J. It all comes down to the player and how he sees you at the moment.

If i had KK and the villain is TAG i check the turn and call a river bet or bet if checked to. I dont think a pocket pair pays 2 bets after the A hits so i am gonna go for 1 preferably on the river cause i dont want to get bluff raised on the turn even if that means giving a free card to a diamond draw.

If i had JT i bet both the turn and the river if a diamond does not hit and my opponent is capable of thinking.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Online 20/40 6 handed
villian is a decent lag regular. My notes say "missed riv value" but i think overall he's just normal not too bluffy and not too weak.

Villian raises co, i call in BB with Ac5d.

Flop is 944 with 2 diamonds. I check, he bets, I call. Turn is an offsuit Ace. I check, he bets *pretty* quickly, I wait for about 1-2 seconds and call.

River is Jd. I check again because donking feels stupid here.

Anyone suggest alternate lines?

If you are villian how would you play the turn/riv if you had either KK or JT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Donking may feel stupid, but I think it's best here. I think if he misses some value on the river, ck/calling a river bet is going to result in it going in pretty bad, so you might as well donk. Also, a lot of big aces he might have raised might slow down b/c of the rivered 3flush, so you folding to a raise could be easier. If he's tricky and could make some weird bluff raise on the river, then I would ck/call.

I tend to donk a way weaker range than most MHUSHers so take this with a grain of salt.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:22 PM

donking the river is best here because he can't raise with a better ace with the flush coming in.

if im villian i chekc the turn and call a bet.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
donking the river is best here because he can't raise with a better ace with the flush coming in.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think a flush draw is believable? I think the lack of a flop or turn check raise is highly suspect myself.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't mean to pick on this post bc poster is prob better than me. but...

If I were villain I would raise the river with all better aces. I would also always bet the turn with an ace.

I agree with michael davis and vegan--these wa/wb lines are too overused
Old 05-21-2007, 12:29 PM

I agree that the wa wb move is transparant and exploitable. I would also absolutely raise the river with a good ace if I were the opponent. Hell, I might even fold KK if I knew the player well enough.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:42 PM

I like leading this river with your hand. If I had KK here I probably check behind on the A if I was playing a LAG and bet if otherwise. As for JT I probably bet the turn and river with some variation to that.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:11 AM

Betting out is like 2005. IMO you should just give more action earlier in this hand as nobody ever believes anyone and while c/r the turn used to be really dumb now c/r the turn and calling down if threebet is probably the most profitable move.

-Michael
Old 05-20-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting out is like 2005. IMO you should just give more action earlier in this hand as nobody ever believes anyone and while c/r the turn used to be really dumb now c/r the turn and calling down if threebet is probably the most profitable move.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

very intersting thought.

i used to agree with the others, just call down and donk riv (cus of way ahead way behind)
but its true.
no one would ever beelieve a turn checkraise here, and would possibly call down very light.

things to think about.