Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 03:02 AM

Default Re: *Official* Philadelphia E-A-G-L-E-S Thread (2007-2008)

PF,

I think the scoreboard doesn't tell the whole story. We were able to get more pressure on Brady than basically anyone else and certainly a lot more than we've been getting in previous weeks. We put them in a lot of third and long situations, but they converted most of them anyway because they are who they are. With a couple of more bounces, we could have stopped them a few more times, which is all you really can ask for against the best team ever.

Hoyas,

I can't believe you're actually unhappy and critical about that peformance. Sure I'm a little disappointed that we couldn't pull it out, but I was very impressed with the creativity and aggressiveness and I realize that if we can play like this against everyone else, we are legitimate contenders. Aside from the one poor decision at the end, what can you possibly be complaining about? This game is another argument for the idea that Reid is an excellent game planner and motivator but is poor at in-game adjustments and management, which is something we should be willing to live with imo. As I said a few weeks ago, this team can be very good with a solid quarterback, and I will be extremely pissed if Feeley is not the starter next week.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gaither did a decent job in coverage, including batting a couple away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Gaither did an excellent job, but he was mostly either blitzing or in deep middle coverage. He wasn't helping cover Welker in the short middle.

(Not saying it's his fault, he was doing his job. The point is that it was stupid to have Hanson playing outside technique, giving Welker the short middle.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:06 PM

Stopping the Pats 3 times and holding them to FG attempts twice more is pretty f'ing good. There was also that drive where the Pats were forced to punt, but we gave it back to them with a neutral zone infraction. That was the same drive where they turned it over on downs, so we stopped them twice in one drive.

Our defense also looked good because the Pats had a lot of unsuccessful plays and were forced to convert a lot of 3rd downs. They never really hit the big plays on us, but unfortunately, with as many plays as they ran, they never turned it over and we gave up too many 3rd down conversions.

If Feeley doesn't spot the Pats D 7 points at the start, Eagles probably win. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2007, 06:05 PM

Another point about the defense is that they created 2-3 opportunities for picks that could have changed the game if they were converted.

Edit: John Runyan on DNL makes a good point that if you're going to go for a touchdown, that situation was a great time because once you get closer it gets tougher to get into the endzone since the defense is bunched together.

On a related note, one of the things I liked about Feeley was how much more effective our red-zone offense was.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another point about the defense is that they created 2-3 opportunities for picks that could have changed the game if they were converted.

Edit: John Runyan on DNL makes a good point that if you're going to go for a touchdown, that situation was a great time because once you get closer it gets tougher to get into the endzone since the defense is bunched together.

On a related note, one of the things I liked about Feeley was how much more effective our red-zone offense was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure its much easier to get a touchdown the closer you are to the endzone.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hoyas,

I can't believe you're actually unhappy and critical about that peformance. Sure I'm a little disappointed that we couldn't pull it out, but I was very impressed with the creativity and aggressiveness and I realize that if we can play like this against everyone else, we are legitimate contenders. Aside from the one poor decision at the end, what can you possibly be complaining about? This game is another argument for the idea that Reid is an excellent game planner and motivator but is poor at in-game adjustments and management, which is something we should be willing to live with imo. As I said a few weeks ago, this team can be very good with a solid quarterback, and I will be extremely pissed if Feeley is not the starter next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I was critical about was not adjusting at all to Welker in the 2nd half, and the playcall when Feeley threw his 2nd pick. The playcall decision was unbelievably awful I dont care what anyone says, and it was just typical andy reid putting the team in a terrible position to blow the game when the eagles had finally gotten to the point of being in control.

Also, an AJ Feeley led, JR Reed starting at safety (and playing well) eagles squad almost beat one of the best teams ever. This makes all the other losses seem pretty damn bad, and they gameplan this well against the Pats, and so unbelievably badly against other teams. Im not really upset with the eagles, but it just sucks so bad that they almost beat the pats who I hate more than any team in the history of sport. A lot of good things happened, most importantly McNabb looks even worse after this game and he better not start for a couple games. But they lost, and could have won, and I was sad cuz I despise the pats.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:42 PM

The Eagles lost a game they could have won and I have mixed feelings about feeling good about a "moral victory", but today I'm proud to be an Eagles fan.

By all accounts they were a middle-of-the-road team this year who lost some games they could have won. They got disrespected with a huge line against a team people were talking about being one of the best ever.

But they went into New England and played to win (not to prevent a Pat's cover). Pretty much every player and coach did about 200% better than they had all season.

Even someone like Greg Lewis who was 5th on the depth chart of a mediocre recieving core had a great game.

And it's good to see Dawkins back in charge of the defense flying around like a missile.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did Reid seriously not run the ball on 2nd and 5 from the 30 yard line? Why god why?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't play ABC football all the time. Don't you think the D is expecting a run here like 85% of the time? I'm not saying the shot at the end-zone was the best play there, but sometimes you call plays to surprise the D, even if it's a higher-risk play.

Because it's against the Pats, he's probably also going for the win here, as opposed to the tie. You gotta throw your testicles out there and put them on the line if you want to beat a healthy team that is destroying everybody.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying the shot at the end-zone was the best play there, but sometimes you call plays to surprise the D, even if it's a higher-risk play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone seems to forget that regardless of the play AJ still has the option not to throw the ball. Maybe its not an optimal play, Feely should realize that the play is covered and look elsewhere. Hopefully finding the wide open Lewis for an easy completion over the middle.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying the shot at the end-zone was the best play there, but sometimes you call plays to surprise the D, even if it's a higher-risk play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone seems to forget that regardless of the play AJ still has the option not to throw the ball. Maybe its not an optimal play, Feely should realize that the play is covered and look elsewhere. Hopefully finding the wide open Lewis for an easy completion over the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. But his complaint was the Reid didn't run the ball, not that Feeley passed the ball. Certainly it was a terrible throw, that is not questionable.