Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Was this ruling correct?

home poker game, freeze out tourney with 5 people left. MP1 is moderately shortstacked and raises before the flop, SB, who has him covered, is the only caller. Flop comes out, SB checks, MP1 bets about 2/3 of his remaining stack. SB thinks for a minute and then says "I'll call", and begins reaching for his chips. Right away, before the turn is dealt, MP1 says "ok I call" and tables his cards face up. MP1 thought SB had announced all in, didn't realize he merely announced a call.

What is the correct ruling here for how to play out the hand?

1 player (not in the hand) thought that it should be treated as a fold for MP1, saying he thought he saw that ruling on some WSOP broadcast. MP1 says that the hand he saw on TV probably involved someone throwing their hand in the muck, not tabling their cards.

MP1 says it was probably his own mistake, and the hand should go on as if MP1 had never exposed his hand. SB knows his hand, but oh well - it would be as if MP1 was holding his cards carefully and SB saw - you wouldn't treat that as a fold for MP1.

Another viewpoint (dealer) was that you kill action right there, capping the pot with SB's call, and deal out the turn and river and best hand takes the pot. Basically treating it like an all in although MP1 does not get to put in his remaining stack.

Thoughts?

P.S.

What ended up happening is the dealer got confused and thought the ruling was his idea of treating it as all in. He dealt the turn and river before a good conclusion could be reached, and MP1's top pair ended up losing by the river and SB took the pot. This obviously wasn't an ideal ruling but I'm wondering what would be.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Was this ruling correct?

The dealer's viewpoint is flat-out wrong, because it lets MP1 get away with seeing the rest of the hand without any risk of being busted. I'd say if it was a misunderstanding, hand continues and SB knows MP1's hand, better pay more attention.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer's viewpoint is flat-out wrong, because it lets MP1 get away with seeing the rest of the hand without any risk of being busted. I'd say if it was a misunderstanding, hand continues and SB knows MP1's hand, better pay more attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, by all of MP1's actions, he's looking like he has the better hand...he could just as easily be getting screwed by not doubling up on his remaining chips as he would be getting helped by keeping his remaining chips unrisked. But yes, dealer is a donk that just plays for entertainment, no way he's right here.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MP1 says it was probably his own mistake, and the hand should go on as if MP1 had never exposed his hand. SB knows his hand, but oh well - it would be as if MP1 was holding his cards carefully and SB saw - you wouldn't treat that as a fold for MP1.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's your answer- exposing a hand heads-up doesn't kill it.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, by all of MP1's actions, he's looking like he has the better hand...he could just as easily be getting screwed by not doubling up on his remaining chips as he would be getting helped by keeping his remaining chips unrisked. But yes, dealer is a donk that just plays for entertainment, no way he's right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

and you're a pro, grinding out that home game circuit?

LL has it right
Old 08-17-2007, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say if it was a misunderstanding, hand continues and SB knows MP1's hand, better pay more attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see any other ruling being at all reasonable.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:18 AM

Hand continues even tho player knows other players hand, you cant penalize the bigger stack by forcing him into a dead pot when the shortstack still has money.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-18-2007, 03:47 PM

MP1 takes his cards back and the hand continues as normal. MP1 has obviously hurt his chances of winning the last third of his stack but that's his own fault.

And it could be pointed out that exposing your hand early in a tournament can result in a time penalty but this doesn't usually happen in a friendly home game.

All in all, it's just a slip by MP1 that might cost him some chips. Nothing really to see here; just move on.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:39 PM

When this happens at our home game we just play the hand out like normal, its the players fault for exposing his hand, theres no reason to penalize the other player.