Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 12:00 PM

Default KK preflop/flop play...deep stack 25/50 live nyc...

Kind of a sick hand. Private home game, NYC. Blinds 25-50.

To give some history, villain (button in this hand) most likely views me as a strong player capable of moves. Once in our last session he had called a big preflop reraise from me (it might have even been a 4 bet pre I can't really remember with AQ sooted in position) and the flop came Qxx and I open shoved (too much in pot, wanted to push him off JJ, etc) and he called and beat my AK. This session, I reraised him again with AK pre oop and he called in position. Flop was Q43 I bet 1100 he called. Turn was a 6 I bet 3400 he shoved I instamucked. So he definitely knows I am capable of moves, as he's caught me a few times when he's looked me up.

Onto the hand.

Stack sizes are really critical in this hand, and advice on ALL actions is welcome. This was a super tough hand.

MP who is a player who knows my game very well makes it 350 to go preflop. I see the button wanting to reraise pre (he actually gets out a 1k chip but then decides to flat call). I look down at KK in the SB. I decide to 3-bet to 1300. I think this is by far the standard play.

Stack sizes to start the hand:
MP: 16kish
BTN: Has everyone covered
Hero: 27.5k

So after I reraise to 1300, MP thinks for a while, and repops to 4100. Now this is where the hand gets interesting. BTN COLD CALLS??!!

It's on you, what is your action, what do you put them on, and based on stack sizes, what is the correct play.

I will say this. My read at the time was that the button had a strong hand, because I saw him reaching to reraise preflop. I think MP also could be resqueezing preflop because he had been by far the most aggressive preflop 3 and 4 bettor at the table thus far on the night, so it's entirely possible he is on a resqueeze, putting me on a squeeze.

I think for a long long while, and decide that I really just want to take the pot down now, I am happy to get the $ in against MP, much less happy against getting the $ in v. the BTN, but I decide to make it 10k more, so 14100 total.

What do people think of this, and also what do people think of the size of my 4-bet, based on the odds I'd be laying myself against a BTN push? Can I safely fold if he pushes or will I be committed to the hand?

MP quickly folds. Then the button goes into the tank...and cold calls. This is now the 3rd time he has cold called.

I really think he would have just shoved in AA at some point, but who the hell knows. I also think he could think that I'm on a move.

You have around 13.5kish back after your reraise, the pot is big. What range do you put him on, and why? What is your plan for the following flops?

A) flop with a Q or J in it
B) A flop with an A in it
C) A low card flop

thanks,
dlpnyc21
Old 06-30-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: KK preflop/flop play...deep stack 25/50 live nyc...

i think i like the preflop play. go all in dark.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:11 PM

It all depends on what the button's range is for coldcalling the 4k and 14k preflop. If you think he can have QQ, JJ, AK, or other hands preflop is good and you should push any flop, but for many players QQ will be in the muck by then. Totally read dependant, against some I'd fold KK after the button coldcalls 4100.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It all depends on what the button's range is for coldcalling the 4k and 14k preflop. If you think he can have QQ, JJ, AK, or other hands preflop is good and you should push any flop, but for many players QQ will be in the muck by then. Totally read dependant, against some I'd fold KK after the button coldcalls 4100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say the BTN range after he calls the 4100 is most likely JJ+, AK, with a slight chance of AQss, but only very slight.

dlpnyc21
Old 06-30-2007, 12:24 PM

I dont see why AA would shove at some point, I think if he is willing to felt AK and AA here, he'd be WAY more likely to shove AK and CC AA than the other way round.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think i like the preflop play. go all in dark.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-30-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-30-2007, 12:56 PM

i like the all in dark bet
Old 06-30-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is really deep and FU

I am guessing from the way the hand has gone other dude (that folded) may have had AK or AQs, TT etc, Villain smells more like QQ+ may even have case KK) to smooth call the 14k.

Your preflop raise is basically pot committing (math sense) yes ?

Scary position and I am guessing Villain is going to put you all in anyway ?

But I think you have played this very well to the flop !

[/ QUOTE ]

I laid my opponent 2.3ish:1. Based on these odds, and his perceived view of my range (which is probably JJ+,AK, some trash maybe 5% of the time), what hands can he reasonably call me with?

Also, what do people think of shoving pre?
Old 06-30-2007, 03:08 PM

550 bb on KK, sick but I realize these NYC games get like that.

I probably do not blind bet flop but I do not see how all of the money is not going in on a non A high flop
Closed Thread