Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 08:14 PM

Default The Well: Iggymcfly

OK, apparently I need to start a new thread to do this. A lot of people expressed interest to start with and then nothing, but I guess I'll see how much people want to know now. I'm not going to make any express committments to sit at the computer or anything, but I'll try to get to all questions eventually.

Also, if we could pass on questions like "what's your favorite color", it would be appreciated. If there's something you're actually interested to know about my personal life, that's fine, but I could do without silly questions just for the sake of asking questions.

For those unfamiliar with the initial concept, here it is:

[ QUOTE ]
A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Wednesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer" .

The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down: Why not on Wednesday? and the voice from in the well shouts back: Because on Wednesday, it’s your day in the well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: The Well: Iggymcfly

What games do you most frequently play (blind size/site/#of tables) and how long have you been frequenting it?

How often/how much do you play? How long have you been playing?

Are you currently in school? Actually, can you just give a brief summary of who you are/what you are doing currently (school/work/etc)

You appear to be a winning player. How do you determine when/how much to cash out? How many buy-ins would you consider a "fairly safe" bankroll for the levels you currently play at?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Whats the biggest pot you've ever won? Lost?

Where do you play?

What kind of pants do you wear while you play?

How long have you been playing Omahar?

What other games do you regularly play?

If you could be any animal, what animal would you be?

Give some important strategy advice.

Do you use PT/PAhud while playing? If so, how useful do you think it is?

And lastly, what is your favorite color?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:31 PM

how did you get started playing poker?

is poker your only source of income? Do you mainly play PLO? If not, what other games do you play?

do you play live?

do you see PLO continuing to increase in popularity? Or will poker in general decline too much in popularity following the US shenanigans?

do you play any other games to a high level? e.g. chess, backgammon, bridge.

where in the world would you most like to live?

Who would you like to be the next person in the well in this forum?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:55 PM

Are you more successful at betting sports or playing PLO?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What games do you most frequently play (blind size/site/#of tables) and how long have you been frequenting it?

Lately, the 5/10 PLO on Bodog has been my main game. I didn't start playing it regularly until two or three weeks ago however. I've also been playing the 10/20 NL on there occasionally.

How often/how much do you play? How long have you been playing?

I first learned to play two years ago, playing $10 buy-in games in the rec room at college. After a few months, I deposited $50 into PartyPoker and got "hooked" for real. After taking my lumps for a little over a year, I finally got good enough to start winning consistently. I've now been playing professionally since April.

How much I play really varies, from as low as 20 hours a week when I'm feeling really burned out to as much as 50 when I'm really enjoying the game I'm playing and feeling fresh. The last couple weeks, I've been much closer to 50 than 20.

Are you currently in school? Actually, can you just give a brief summary of who you are/what you are doing currently (school/work/etc)

I went to Washington State for 2.5 years before getting suspended for a semester under their 3 strikes policy for alcohol in January of 2005. The first two were just stupid stuff in the dorms my freshman year, and then the third was a DUI when I was a junior.

By the time I got suspended, I'd already decided I didn't like my major much and was really letting my schoolwork side. I'd been doing very well on Party for the month or so before too, and was thinking that I might end up playing poker for a living eventually. Of course, I had no real idea about BR management yet, and still had some future bustos in front of me before really finding out what I was doing. As of now, my only occupation is gambling. I make 90% of my income from poker, but am a winning sports bettor as well.

You appear to be a winning player. How do you determine when/how much to cash out? How many buy-ins would you consider a "fairly safe" bankroll for the levels you currently play at?

Usually, I just cash out when I want something, or want to make sure I have enough money to play live. Lately though, I've been trying to get more of my roll offline due to the scares with third party processors.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-27-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats the biggest pot you've ever won? Lost?

Biggest pot won is $16,000. I posted it in the low content thread the other day. Amazingly, the biggest I've lost is only like $8,500. I'm 4-0 in pots over $9,000 thus far. I'm sure that will change eventually though. I haven't been playing the 5/10 PLO on Bodog that long.

Where do you play?

I play some live, but mostly just to donk around. The $300 pot cap in Montana makes it hard to play real poker.

Most of my real poker comes on the internet. I was playing 90% of my poker on Bodog and the rest on Stars before Neteller went down, etc., but after that, I lost the little bit of money I had on Stars and haven't bothered to redeposit.

What kind of pants do you wear while you play?

Varies. Usually, khakis or jeans, but that's not a requirement.

How long have you been playing Omaha?

I first really learned the game last spring and made it my main game for a month or two. I tend to be pretty schizophrenic with what games I play though. I'll really focus on one for a month or two and then switch it up and focus on something different. I didn't get back into Omaha until the end of November.

What other games do you regularly play?

I feel confident that I can beat decently high games in LHE, NLHE, PLO, and 7-stud hi. My last phase before this one was LHE, but it's really hard to say what my "best" game is out of the group.

If you could be any animal, what animal would you be?

A monkey I guess, since there most complex and most like a human. I really wouldn't want to be an animal, it would be too simplistic of a life and too depressing.

Give some important strategy advice.

Position, position, position. I think the difference between a long-term winner and a long-term loser can really be how often they build big pots preflop when in position, and stay away from mediocre hands when they're not. The advantage of acting last makes it 100x easier to play well. If you're deep enough, don't be afraid to three and even four-bet stuff like JT87 on the button.

Do you use PT/PAhud while playing? If so, how useful do you think it is?

I think it's much less useful with Omaha then with other games. If I'm playing on Stars or some place where it's easily compatible then I'll still use it just to track my records, but I don't bother on Bodog. The DogWatch HandGrabber's super buggy and I don't even know if it's compatible with PTO.

And lastly, what is your favorite color?

Yeah, I set myself up for that. I knew it was coming after my initial post. I'd say blue or black just because those colors tend to look best on me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-27-2007, 09:34 PM

Note: Going to start skipping questions that I feel have been answered completely already.

[ QUOTE ]
how did you get started playing poker?

Just playing with friends at college. I really enjoyed it and always wanted to play more than they did and for higher stakes, so pretty soon, I put money into PartyPoker.

do you see PLO continuing to increase in popularity? Or will poker in general decline too much in popularity following the US shenanigans?

This one's tough to say. I think PLO will continue to increase in popularity relative to the rest of poker while poker overall will tend to decline. With less new players coming in through the online feeder system, I think the games will get tougher everywhere. However, I do think that there will be a point eventually when you come into Vegas and a PLO table is almost as easy to find as a LHE table. So yes, I think overall PLO's popularity will increase.

do you play any other games to a high level? e.g. chess, backgammon, bridge.

No, not really at a high level. I did used to be quite good at Literati on Yahoo though, and as such, I'm pretty sure that I could become a very good Scrabble player if I put in a little bit of effort to refresh myself.

where in the world would you most like to live?

This is actually a really relevant question since I'll probably be moving in the near future. I really just don't have enough experience to know that yet. I need to go spend more time at different places. I was kind of considering getting an apartment in Vegas for a while, and then eventually getting a full-time home in either LA or SF. If I did that though, I'd definitely want to spend time in other places. I'd love to spend a couple months in Europe and maybe a couple months in Thailand as well.

Who would you like to be the next person in the well in this forum?

Sorry to say that I don't know the Omaha forum that well to really suggest someone. I'll have to defer to others on that one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-27-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you more successful at betting sports or playing PLO?

[/ QUOTE ]

Much better at playing poker. I'm kind of a recreational sports bettor at heart in that I don't really put a lot of effort into finding arbs, line-shopping or bonus hunting. I just do some basic handicapping, fade the public, and grind out a decent profit.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:27 PM

How much do you need to win per month to cover your expenses? What do you do for health insurance?