Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who pays for your education?
Parents 117 33.52%
Other relatives 10 2.87%
Student loans 52 14.90%
Financial aid 69 19.77%
You 87 24.93%
other 14 4.01%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Barry Bonds indicted

I do love how you drop certain answers I give since they defeat you and then bring up brand new stuff -- often based on nothing.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It is likely that Greg Anderson can't be prosecuted because his testimony under oath was prior to his guilty plea. The guilty plea likely incorporated all charges and possible charges arising out of this investigation...

[/ QUOTE ]

If I told you that wasn't the case....then what?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Anderson testified before the plea agreement and the agreement is anything like the standard agreement used in federal courts in New York, he could not be charged with perjury for that pre-agreement testimony. My understanding is that he refused to testify since then and that is why he was locked up. They can't lock him up if he testified and lying unless they did charge him with perjury.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Come on, Bean. You know this. They went after the suppliers and they entered plea agreements. I don't know why they agreed to such light pleas, but it may have been political at the Justice Department level.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a token case to facilitate a perjury trap on Bonds, where in the DA's mind he either would admit steroid use that could be leaked, or run the risk of perjury.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are rarely grand jury leaks. The leak in this case was from a defense attorney and not a prosecutor -- did the prosecutor expect a defense attorney to be the leak? And there are no D.A. here. D.A.s are local prosecutors not federal prosecutors. More importantly, your belief that this was a trap does not fit with the chronology of events. The investigation of BALCO started more than a year before Bonds testified.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There is plenty of proof of Bonds use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of allegations...but it hasn't been proven.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Plenty of PROOF of use. Paper documents and testimony. He tested positive! ALLEGATIONS of perjury. Maybe he didn't know... but that seems unlikely.

[ QUOTE ]

Agent Jeff Novitsky told Agent Ira White in 2001 that he didn't like Bonds, and "sure would like to get him for something", as he had worked out at the same gym, and was jealous of Bonds wealth and success.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that is what Iran White (first name Iran, not Ira) told Playboy and what the government has disputed in court hearings.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, this is an IRS investigation, spearheaded by Novitsky, as the DEA showed no interest, at at later intervals was critical of the IRS involvement in a steroid case.

[/ QUOTE ]

The IRS does drug investigations. I know it is shocking, but it is true. They have jurisdiction here just like the DEA. There are many areas of the law where more than one agency has enforcement rights. As I recall from something I read, Novitsky was involved in drug-related investigations during his whole career at the IRS. What were his motivations and was this investigation completely his way of getting Bonds? I really don't know. White says one thing and the government says the opposite.

For those fans of Steven Smith, Charles Barkley, OJ and conspiracy theories, much has also been made of the fact that Iran White is black and Novitsky is white -- but I won't go any further down that path as it could only lead to bad things.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:23 PM

And my last response to Bean assuming he is really gone...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope when this is done, he [censored] some people up like what happened with mike nifong.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the winner of the worst analogy award...

This case is so far away from the Duke case. Bonds took steroids -- or was given steroids -- that is either true or there was a conspiracy bigger than the one that framed OJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're giving out "worst analogy" awards, and then in the same post comparing the Bonds case to OJ's.

Good gravy.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. People who believe there is no proof of steroid use MUST believe there is a conspiracy here to get Bonds by several investigators and prosecutors to falsifying documents and planting evidence. This is not the Duke rape case that was done in an unnecessary rush, with a single witness by a single hyper-aggressive prosecutor. The OJ analogy is far closer.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Everyone is correct. An acquittal will not change my mind about Bonds being on the juice. It will only show that there is not enough proof that he lied about not knowing he was on the juice. There is just too much evidence. Please don't ask me for it again. Buy the book -- or browse it in the store.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't seem to understand the difference between allegation and fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are more than mere allegations. Allegations are words without support. There is plenty of documented support here.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:24 PM

"White says one thing and the government says the opposite."

And one of them has a motivation to lie and the other doesn't.

Oh, no, wait, I forgot. The Great International Negro Conspiracy. They are just looking out for each other.

This has always just been about Bonds. The entire issue of steroids in baseball has always just about Bonds. That's why nobody gives a [censored] about Palmiero, Grimsley, Merriman, etc. Sportswriters hate Bonds, sportswriters make the public hate Bonds, the steroids issue is the way that they can finally bring him down and get back at him for that goddamn Barcalounger.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what motive?

[ QUOTE ]
That's why nobody gives a [censored] about Palmiero, Grimsley, Merriman, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

What??? Palmeiro's use of steroids was a huge story, as was Giambi. Grimsley was already out of the game when his name came out. I am not as big of a football fan, but I am very familiar with the Merriman situation because it was all over the sports news. Bonds is a bigger deal because (1) he is one of the best baseball players of all times who set records while using PEDs and (2) he changed his story many times and then lied about it in a place where he really shouldn't have.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:03 AM

Bad news RedBean look at the prosecutions positive drug test. airtight IMO.
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...ind-of-sketch/
Old 11-18-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad news RedBean look at the prosecutions positive drug test. airtight IMO.
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...ind-of-sketch/

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta give Conte credit. Sounds like he knew the tests would come up positive, but threw enough doubt into the process in case the test results ever became public.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:24 AM

ZOMG Johnny Cochran amirite or what?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what motive?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What??? Palmeiro's use of steroids was a huge story, as was Giambi. Grimsley was already out of the game when his name came out. I am not as big of a football fan, but I am very familiar with the Merriman situation because it was all over the sports news. Bonds is a bigger deal because (1) he is one of the best baseball players of all times who set records while using PEDs and (2) he changed his story many times and then lied about it in a place where he really shouldn't have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt Merriman make the Pro Bowl the same year he served a steroids suspsension?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what motive?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt Merriman make the Pro Bowl the same year he served a steroids suspsension?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah
Old 11-18-2007, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And yet, if he is convicted, you and others will certainly hold that up as the centerpiece in your reasoning.

Must be nice to have it both ways.

Conviction = Guilty
Acquittal = Still Guilty

[/ QUOTE ]wow i take this to mean if bonds is convicted, redbean will not give excuses that the trial was unfair, or that the jury was biased, or that the defense was feeble, or that media blah blah blah, but will accept the fact that bonds did steroids and will recant all his earlier statements?