Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Leaning the swing without lessons? <newbe

I just played golf my first time Monday, and I have played 4 days total this week. I'm hooked... I got into golf by playing Tiger Woods (video game) and really wanted to try it. There is a pitch &amp; put type course close to my house, where I played put put as a kid. They have 9 holes for $9 (longest ~120yds), practice greens, and driving range. I really like it.

I have read to work on my short game, making this the perfect place to learn. The problem is obviously my swing is terrible. I feel lost when I go to hit anything that's not a chip or put, even at 70yds off a tee. I went today and hit with the P wedge and 9 Iron only. I am getting better but I have no consistency at all, and my shots look good about 1/20 times.

I have been reading tips like crazy, but I'm not sure if I can learn the swing on my own. I am wondering if watching videos and reading tips will be enough. Another possibility might be find someone to teach me for free. My cousin was on a golf team throughout highschool. Lessons are kind of out of the question, but maybe I can afford 1 or 2 to get the basics. How hard is it to learn on your own, if possible? And how long would it take to be taught by someone good if I have to pay?$?

Any links, tips, or advise at all would be great. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Leaning the swing without lessons? <newbe

Well if you're only hitting it good 1/20 times, I'd say you may want to have someone try and help you out with some basics.
That's not to say it's impossible to learn on your own and improve, but if you're as bad as you make it sound, I think you'll improve quicker with some tips/lessons.

Your cousin may be the best place to start, simply because I'm sure he wouldn't charge you anything.

I'd say your first goal should be to somehow get a look at your swing on video. People are always amazed at what their swing actually looks like, compared to what they think it may look like.
Perhaps seeing your swing would give you a good place to start without having to pay for lessons. You may be able to spot a few major things you're doing wrong that you can correct on your own.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:51 AM

I would recommend reading Ben Hogan's 5 fundamentals. It is a fairly comprehensive, yet concise, book for the beginner. It is like $15 bucks at Borders. I have used it and like it.

Note - I am not particularly good...but I find myself improving and I think the book has "got me on the right track."
Old 09-23-2007, 09:28 AM

It is absurdly hard to learn on your own - usually unless you're a kid. I very very strongly recommend a couple lessons, but I think you'll do best if you: read a lot to understand the concepts so that when you go to get a couple lessons, you can take what you learn there and know how to work on it efficiently on your own.

Lessons are really important, IMO.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:24 AM

First things first- make it your goal to put your hands on the club perfectly.
There are plenty of places on the web to get free instruction.

Concerning the swing, you'll find things can get confusing quickly, with so many tips.
But most instruction on the grip is consistent. Read. Look at pics. Apply.
And try to understand the why behind all instruction. It makes it easier when you do!

Best of luck.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:31 PM

You want to make sure you get all the basics down first. Grip, stance, alignment and posture are all good places to start. Read some books/magazines and look for someone who is about your physical build and try to emulate some of the things they're doing. The magazines with the swing frames laid out on two pages are a good starting point to see what kind of postions you should be in at different points in the swing. It takes a very long time to get consistent so don't get frustrated if you aren't seeing the results right away.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:55 PM

First - Stop reading golf tips and or viewing videos online. You'll just confuse yourself.

Second - Get this book: John Redman's Essentials of the Golf Swing

Redman starts from the simplest theory and teaches you everything from grip, stance, etc. He teaches a very simple and repeatable swing. For a beginner this is an excellent book. Make sure you read all the text though and not just look at the pictures. You can get this book used for about $4.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:20 PM

I agree completely with this. Without the correct grip you're pretty much screwed from the beginning, in my opinion. Any teacher you get (if that does become available to you) who doesnt' look at your grip before any thing else isn't worth your time. Hope you stick with it, have fun, and improve.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:23 PM

First off thanks everyone, I have read and am looking into everything posted.

I am going to go this week with my cousin and see if he can teach me some basics. I am also going to look into books suggested, but I admit that books are not my strong point. I almost have like a slight ADD when trying to read them. I am on the right track with my grip, I've read a lot about that which lead me to guess it was important. I use the interlocking grip, I think. Where I cross my pinky to connect my hands. I will work on it more and show my cousin and see what he thinks.

Keep the tips coming and I will report back after I've, hopefully, read some books and got some more practice. I will also work on getting my swing on video, when I think its somewhat correct and consistent. I know its different just about every time.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:41 AM

Take lessons right away - and make sure you have enough time to practice right after the lesson.