Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 12-01-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: No Country For Old Men

Robert Bresson said that one should feel a movie before thinking about it.

Having watched No Country for Old Men, I felt left out in the cold and emotionally disattached in the end. The film is technically brilliant, and has some great moments of tension and characterization in the first half, but becomes convoluted in the second half. And since McCarthy has praised the film as being faithful to the book, I will have to blame the original story for the film's flaws.

I'm on board with Andrew Sarris, Andyfox, and Dominic on this one.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:59 PM

That was a very good review. His note about the gun's action not working properly definitely sounds like it will irritate me when I see the movie.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That was a very good review. His note about the gun's action not working properly definitely sounds like it will irritate me when I see the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that the reviewer is making fun of the gun's in the movie is very ironic. McCarthy is a gun nut who probably thinks about the weapons more than some of the minor characters. the guns in the movie seemed to be fairly close to the book. i'm certain the coen's didn't insert any "gimmicky" firearms.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It might now that you know about it in advance...I don't know why you would read a review before seeing the movie, who cares what someone else thinks about it?. I didn't notice the gun thing though. And I disagree with part of his analysis, which I guess we'll talk about once you've seen it.