Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-01-2007, 12:32 PM

Default A Good Book for Middle Stakes HE (Live)

My father has been playing live 20/40-40/80 about once a week over the past 2-3 yrs. He doesn't get killed, however, I feel he doesn't have the skills necessary to succeed at these limits. I will often go with him and play 3-6/5-10. After our sessions I we will discuss some hands and I can tell he is lacking some basic skills.

For Christmas I am getting him Hold'Em FAP. Can anyone reccommed some other books? Or maybe even a DVD (is Miller's any good?).
Old 12-01-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: A Good Book for Middle Stakes HE (Live)

There are a ton of limit hold'em books available. Obviously, some are better than others but there are a number of them that offer something useful. Even if the book, as a whole, is inferior to another title there might be a small gem of information that he cld find to be very useful. I think HPFAP would be a great book for him to read.
The Theory of Poker by Sklansky will provide him all the "nuts and bolts" type information he needs to excel.
Real Poker II, The Play of Hands by Cooke is a little more "user friendly" than the 2+2 titles and provides some great perspective on how to play hands out.
Middle Limit Hold'em by Ciaffone and Brier is another solid strategy book that may be more applicable to the limits he plays.
I think any of the above would be good purchases and would help him considerably. However, it's best not to over load him with information. I'd maybe start him off with two and go from there. If forced to pick just two I'd choose HPFAP and TOP.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: A Good Book for Middle Stakes HE (Live)

Thank you for the response. I'll definitely go with HPFAP and I'll try to choose another.

My uncle bought SSHE for him and I even went through it and highlighted the chapters that he could apply to his game. He is very stubborn in his ways though and I think he feels by reading SSHE he will somehow become a worse player.

Thanks again for the advice.