Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-21-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Cranberry Challenge

[ QUOTE ]
At this point in time, I can neither confirm nor deny the delivery of 130 lbs of jars for the Great Jamming Project of 2007.

[/ QUOTE ]

DAMN!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:48 PM

I put together a few cranberry dishes last weekend for Mrs. Weir and myself to get me back into the swing of cooking in preparation for hosting 14 people for Thanksgiving. Anyway, here they are -- I apologize in advance for the pretty poor picture quality.

Cocktail: Cranberry Manhattan

I love bourbon Manhattans, which are basically just whiskey with some flavored wine (vermouth). I came across some cranberry wine from a local NJ winery in the liquor store, and figured, why not?

2 parts bourbon
1 part cranberry wine
dash orange bitters

Combine all in a cocktail shaker with ice, shake and pour. Garnish with a couple of cranberry halves.

This was surprisingly good -- I liked it almost as much as a regular Manhattan. The cranberry wine by itself was also better than I expected -- not sweet or cloying at all, and actually pretty crisp and refreshing.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:05 PM

Appetizer: Cranberry-Gorgonzola Tart

I started by making a walnut shortbread pie crust.

3/4 cup walnut halves
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
2 sticks butter

Pulse the walnuts in a food processor until finely ground. Add the other dry ingredients and pulse until incorporated. Cut the butter into cubes and gradually add to the food processor, pulsing to form a coarse meal. Press the dough into a 9" tart pan and bake at 300 degrees for about 50 minutes. Let cool.

For the filling, I used:

8 oz cream cheese
6 oz crumbled gorgonzola dolce
2 tbs milk
1 egg
3/4 cup dried cranberries
2 tbs chopped green onions

Combine cream cheese and gorgonzola with hand mixer until blended. Add milk and egg and beat until combined. Fold in cranberries and green onions. Spread mixture in baked tart shell and garnish with pecan halves. Bake at 450 degrees until filling is set (20 to 25 minutes).

Let cool for a half hour; cut into wedges and serve.

The gorgonzola and cranberries set each other off nicely. I served this with a salad of mixed greens, dried cranberries, slivered almonds, shaved parmesan and balsamic vinaigrette.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:20 PM

Main Course: Venison with Port-Cranberry Sauce, "Crandied" Yams

When I cook venison, I usually marinade it in gin for a couple of hours to remove some of the gaminess. I boiled a handful of fresh cranberries just until they popped, then let them steep in a cup of gin for a couple of days, then marinaded the venison tenderloin in the cranberry-infused gin for about 2 hours before cooking. Here's the gin concoction about a day in.

While the venison was marinating, I made the sauce:

1 cup chicken broth
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup ruby Port
1/3 cup cranberry sauce (the jelly cylinder that comes in a can)
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp dried rosemary

Combine chicken and beef broth in a saucepan and boil until reduced to 1 cup. Add the Port and boil until reduced to 3/4 cup. Whisk in cranberry sauce and rosemary and simmer until sauce thickens. Whisk in butter. Strain sauce.

When the sauce was done, I seasoned the the venison tenderloins and sauteed them in a tiny bit of butter until they were just browned (about 2 minutes on each side).

For the side dish, I halved a few large yams, threw a pat of butter on each half, and roasted them in the oven for about an hour at 350 degrees. I scooped out and mashed the meat, and added some more butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves. I simmered about 3/4 cup of dried cranberries in 1/2 cup orange juice until they plumped up a bit and folded them into the yams.

The final product:

The venison was really flavorful, but probably could have been cooked a bit less. The port-cranberry sauce was great -- I would not have expected something with so much canned craberry sauce in it to taste so elegant, but it did.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:49 PM

Dessert: Cranberry Sauce Ice Cream; White Cranberry Foam

Dessert was something of a disappointment. I recently bought some "molecular gastronomy" supplies, and was hoping to make a cranberry fruit caviar a la El Bulli.

Unfortunately, cranberry juice appears to be too acidic to properly "gel" in the calcium chloride solution, so I had to abort the experiment after a couple of tries. (There are apparently some work-arounds for spherifying acidic liquids, but they look to be a good bit more advanced than I am.)

So I ended up doing one old-fashioned item -- ice cream -- and one new-style dessert item -- white cranberry foam.

I thought that a really tart cranberry ice cream might taste a bit off, so I decided to try to replicate the somewhat sweeter flavor of cranberry sauce in frozen form.

2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cup sugar
6 egg yolks
1/8 tsp salt
2 12-oz bags frozen cranberries
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp clove
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp powdered cinnamon
1 oz Cointreau
zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Bring cream and 1/2 cup sugar just to a boil; keep stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from burner and cover to keep warm.

Beat together eggs, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar until thick. Slowly add the hot milk to the egg mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat, stirring, until custard reaches 170 degrees. Strain custard and let cool.

Combine cranberries, 1/2 cup sugar, Cointreau, and cinnamon sticks in heavy saucepan and bring to a boil.

Simmer over low heat until cranberries burst. Let the mixture cool, then remove cinammon stick, transfer to blender and puree.

Stir cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and orange zest into the custard. Fold the cranberry mixture into the custard, stir in walnuts and dried cranberries, and process in ice cream maker. Keep ice cream in freezer overnight to set.

To garnish the ice cream, I made some sugar ornaments by boiling 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup cranberry juice in a saucepan until it caramelized, then drizzing the sugar over a heatproof mat and letting it cool.

The foam was cool and super-easy. I dissolved 1 1/2 sheets of gelatin in 8 oz. of white cranberry juice. I added the mixture to my new Isi Whip charger, charged the dispenser with a nitrous cartridge, shook it, and put in the fridge overnight. Just before serving, I shot a cloud of foam on each plate.

The garnish dots around the plate are reduced and thickened cranberry wine.

Although the caviar failure was disappointing, I was pleased with the end result. The ice cream was intensely red, really creamy, not too sweet, and actually tasted like homemade, chunky cranberry sauce. The foam had an incredibly light, airy texture (much, much lighter than whipped cream), but the cranberry flavor came right through.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:31 PM

BRAVO!
Old 11-24-2007, 07:39 PM

Looks like the final meat pic didn't come through for some reason, so here it is again:

Old 11-25-2007, 10:44 PM

The foam is really neat. I definitely think the molecular gastronomy stuff is interesting. What other projects have you tried? What happened when you tried to make the cranberry caviar?

The foam and garnish on the dessert both look really fun. Well done.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:52 AM

For christmas this year, Greenbird and I are making jam. We figured it'd be nice to send something to all those cousins and college friends that normally wouldn't get gifts. It'll be three or four flavors per package, depending on when we lose steam. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll post a trip-report when we're further along in that project, but I did make sure one of our jams uses cranberries.

<font color="red">Cran-Raspberry Preserves</font>

1 bag Cranberries
20 oz Frozen Raspberries
1/2 Orange Zest
1 C Water
5 C Sugar
1 pack Powdered Pectin

Bring all of the above up to a boil, stirring periodically.

Sterilize your jars and funnel and clamps and ladle. I just washed them all in the dishwasher and then brought them to a boil in my monstrous canning kettle.

After the above have boiled for 10 minutes, turn off the heat and toss in the lids. (You don't want the lids to boil, because the sealing solution will melt off.)

Remove the blistering hot clamps and then use those to remove the blistering hot jars. Use the funnel and ladle to load the jars to about 1/3" from the top.

Tighten the lids to finger-tight and put 'em back in the kettle. Boil for 15 minutes.

Serve. Or, don't for a couple years. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 AM

The month is almost out. Does anybody need the weekend to finish anything, or is this about it? (I don't think every month needs quite the response that Pumpkin got. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

What contest do we want to do for December? I was thinking about maybe "Battle: Baking". Tis the season, with the holidays coming up. We could do Alcohol as an ingredient for January and the new year, or we could push it to December if you guys'd rather.

Any other ideas? Whatcha think?