Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Help me choose a job out of undergrad

Pmuir:

For you goals only options 1 & 2 are relevant.

Option 1 - from a training and exposure standpoint may be the best choice.

Option 2 - I know the these guys and it's a great shop but you need to actually verify one question. Has anyone in this job ever moved to the origination side? If not, take the BoA option.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For you goals only options 1 & 2 are relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who you are and you may know better than me, but this seems totally wrong. One of his goals is to get his MBA and I think the Accenture job best prepares him to get into a good school.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pmuir:for you goals only options 1 & 2 are relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really wrong, and you shouldn't say this kind of stuff when you have no idea
Old 11-16-2007, 05:43 AM

Operations work = Back-office, although it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, especially when you specifically stated you wanted to go into VC. The other two positions aren't relevant to that goal. You at least learn the operation and ins and outs of a private equity at this position.

BoA is a huge name but is often looked down among other WS firms from what I have heard (and confirmed with people in the industry). It seems like a decent program but this would be option #3 for me.

Accenture is a good firm, but according to couple of my friends who are working there at the moment (in LA offices), they and everyone else in the office hate their jobs. I forgot their reasonings but their hatred left quite an impression. Another friend did a summer internship with them over at Beijing and she said she thinks it's the worst job in the world (Now in BCG). However, if this is for short-term only, which i think it is for you, and would like to take a safer route than Bain Capital, by all means take it (if you get the offer). If i was in your shoes I'd take Bain Capital. Why? Well, say you want to do i-bank, would you rather work at a small boutique doing the major work or work at Goldman and tries to leverage that into something better? I don't know about you but I'd take GS any day.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:02 PM

lol BoA is prolly gonna close their IB shop. Vault.com for good industry information/prestige rankings
Old 11-16-2007, 12:40 PM

1. If you want to know who am I read my prior posts in this topic.

2. The Accenture job is a "systems integrator" let's not confuse that with high end business consulting at Bain Consulting, BCG or McKinsey.

3. He wants a future in finance - why choose a systems integration path? It gives you no relevant experience.

4. You can get into B school from most decent companies - Accenture does not give you any advantage over the other options.