Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Range finders

Does anyone use these? If so, has anyone used cheap ones? There is one up on craigslist I'm looking at, and for the price I wouldnt' care too much if it was slightly inaccurate (I expect it to be), but want to make sure they're not total crap. This is a link to the one he is selling:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=169416
Old 10-03-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Range finders

I use the pinseeker 1500 (~$400) and it's just amazing. It's really helped my game just from knowing exactly how far away I am...and it helps me when I'm practicing to know exactly how far I hit things. Sure you can't use it in tournies, but for those you just have to work harder on pacing stuff off, etc. I dunno how this model will perform, though; I've used ~$200 models of bushnell finders and they were more cumbersome than mine, but the one you're looking at is way lower, so I don't know how easy or reliable it will be.

You WILL NOT be able to shoot this at a pin/flag and get a distance...you'll have to shoot the grass around the pin and check it 2-4 times to get a 'decent' approximation. Only the very expensive ones can actually read standard flags (requires a computer chip OR the club putting a reflector on the flag stick).
Old 10-03-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You WILL NOT be able to shoot this at a pin/flag and get a distance...you'll have to shoot the grass around the pin and check it 2-4 times to get a 'decent' approximation. Only the very expensive ones can actually read standard flags (requires a computer chip OR the club putting a reflector on the flag stick).

[/ QUOTE ]

...and for this reason only...

skycaddie >>> <any range finder>

...although, there are many other reasons this is true.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:27 PM

I can hit any flag from 220 in with my Bushnell.
I had the first one that came out (today's is much improved) and I could hit the flag from app. 180 and in.

No special chips or reflectors needed, although they do make it easier.

I don't think the one the op linked to will be much help.
And SkyCaddies have their own sets of problems.

FYI-new skycaddie is out-
SG5
Old 10-03-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can hit any flag from 220 in with my Bushnell.
I had the first one that came out (today's is much improved) and I could hit the flag from app. 180 and in.

No special chips or reflectors needed, although they do make it easier.

I don't think the one the op linked to will be much help.
And SkyCaddies have their own sets of problems.

FYI-new skycaddie is out-
SG5

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh. I've read a couple reviews that said that it did the trick, one for an even cheaper model. For $20 I'm going to give it a shot. Will report back.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use the pinseeker 1500 (~$400) and it's just amazing. It's really helped my game just from knowing exactly how far away I am...and it helps me when I'm practicing to know exactly how far I hit things. Sure you can't use it in tournies, but for those you just have to work harder on pacing stuff off, etc. I dunno how this model will perform, though; I've used ~$200 models of bushnell finders and they were more cumbersome than mine, but the one you're looking at is way lower, so I don't know how easy or reliable it will be.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why I tend to scoff at a lot of stuff here. The USGA changed the rules starting in 2007 to allow devices that measure distance only in tournaments at the discretion of the tournament committee. The Tight Lies Tour began using Sky Golf rangefinders in 2005.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never had a problem shooting flags with a decent Bushnell.

BO
Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 PM

These things annoy the hell out of me because they slow down play. Besides for most golfers it doesn't effing matter if you are 160 or 165 from the pin. The number one priority is aim and making a good swing.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 PM

Wait, how do they slow down play? It's a whole lot faster for me to use the range finder than pace off 55yds from the pin. Same goes for pacing from a 150 marker and trying to add/subtract my guess for pin position.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:59 AM

For <5s it might speed up play. For >10s it probly wont have any effect on speed cause it really doesnt matter.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:08 AM

for the shortsighted country-club crowd that thinks a skycaddie slows down play...you are ignorant.

i'm a 14 or so and it speeds up my play for two reasons. first and obviously, club selection. second, comfort. when you feel comfortable that you are hitting the right club for the distance, you are more relaxed and as a result, play faster.

plain and simple.