Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Re: What\'s the point of the \"can\'t lie about your hand\" rule?

[ QUOTE ]
Flop comes Q high, UTG says "I hit my set of queens." Lot of action to show down, UTG shows queens. 3 seat wants the hand dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love how he wants the hand dead ONLY after he's gone to showdown and lost, yet not on the flop when the incident occured.

Typical miserable A-Hole.

b
Old 07-27-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: What\'s the point of the \"can\'t tell the truth about your hand\" rul

Roberts Rules state:

"The following actions are improper, and grounds for warning, suspending, or barring a violator:"

"Revealing the contents of a live hand in a multihanded pot before the betting is complete. Do not divulge the contents of a hand during a deal even to someone not in the pot, so you do not leave any possibility of the information being transmitted to an active player."

slap on the wrist, take a break if you keep acting out of line. The hand is 100% live.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: What\'s the point of the \"can\'t tell the truth about your hand\" rul

[ QUOTE ]
slap on the wrist, take a break if you keep acting out of line. The hand is 100% live.

[/ QUOTE ]
...except in rooms where it isn't. Again, learn the rules of the particular establishment you're in. One midwest room I played had the rule that if you expose your cards (even headsup) you may not then initiate action, but you can call it. So the rules range from "go ahead and do it heads-up, but no matter when you do it your hand is not killed" to "dead hand at any time" with a few stops in the middle.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Well sometimes they lie...

...so here's a quick story.

40/80 holdem in an LA Card Barn a while back. It's three way on the river including our Hero who is last to act. A player who we now know is the Goofy Hat Bandit bets the river from the six seat and holds his hand up so seats seven through nine can see it. Seat one is considering a call but GHB exclaims "Save your money, save your money" so after a few seconds seat one folds.

Action is now on Hero in the five seat and once again GHB says "Save your money, save your money". Hero slides out eight brown ($80) to call with his king high busted draw. GHB reaches over to Hero's chips and tosses them back repeating "Save your money, save your money, I got a big hand, I'll show you."

Hero slides his eight chips to call again. Once more GHB reaches over and slides back the chip, repeating that he "only" wants to save Hero some money. Hero puts the chips out one more time and firmly states "I call". GHB throws his hand away and Hero's hand is good.

I guess GHB had to rob another bank to reload [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

~ Rick

PS Some good pictures of the Goofy Hat Bandit among others in this spread.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:18 PM

TDA rules specify, you cannot expose nor discuss the exact cards in your hand. however you can be vague when discussing your hand, only when its heads-up! your allowed to say things like :"i got a pretty good hand here" or "your AK is no good" "i got you beat" things like that.

now as far as jamie gold goes, the ONLY thing he did wrong that broke the rules was exposing his JACK when there was still action yet to come....he never said "i have trip queens" or "ive got the nut flush" or anything like that. he was pushing it, but he only crossed the line once, by exposing his card.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:49 PM

Is it legal to fold, have your cards mucked, but kept to the side so you can show your hand after the hand is done? I know it would be mechanically awkward to do this, but is it legal if the dealer is willing?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it legal to fold, have your cards mucked, but kept to the side so you can show your hand after the hand is done? I know it would be mechanically awkward to do this, but is it legal if the dealer is willing?

[/ QUOTE ]

if the dealer is willing to do so, and the game is relaxed enough, then yeah thats fine it happens all the time. however you can also show your cards to a PLAYER NOT IN THE HAND, and he can verify your holding after the hand is completed
Old 07-30-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Well sometimes they lie...

[ QUOTE ]
...so here's a quick story.
A player who we now know is the Goofy Hat Bandit

PS Some good pictures of the Goofy Hat Bandit among others in this spread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like Washington Mutual Bank (WAMU) is the favorite target for bank robbers these days.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if the dealer is willing to do so, and the game is relaxed enough, then yeah thats fine it happens all the time. however you can also show your cards to a PLAYER NOT IN THE HAND, and he can verify your holding after the hand is completed

[/ QUOTE ]

Its generally best if you don't do this at all, but if you must, explain it quickly to the dealer, make them kill your hand, and then leave it to the side. Showing it to just one player who isn't in the hand, habitually, has the tendency to cause mistrust over the course of a session. Some people get mad that the guy next to you gets to see your hand every time, and when they start losing they start inventing scenarios about how you two are colluding.

Best not to show your hand to anyone or to everyone.