Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Under what scenario do you play your best?

i play best when i am concentrating on things other than golf. i tend to overthink things if i play too seriously. my best rounds are with friends when we are just shootin the [censored] and not worrying about the score.

ive recently played my first few rounds with alcohol involved and i rule as long as i dont drink too much.

my best 9 hole score (30) was shot when i was a single that got paired up with a random 3some where i work. i was just chattin it up with the guys and making birdies.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:30 AM

With friends, for money and drunk.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:26 AM

With co-workers and people I need to impress.

I screw around with friends too much, and get cocky.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:11 AM

i play in a leauge with coworkers. actually former coworkers as im now unemployed. anyways we tee off at 7am. this is insanely early for me as all i do now a days is play poker till 4-5am on a daily basis. anyhow the one night before golf i do try to go to bed early which is next to impossible. i usually get 3 hours or less of sleep as my sleep cycle is hard to break. i just play awful. i have no balance at all. i end up shooting awful. im sick of telling everyone how tired i am and thats the reason im playing so bad. im seriously averaging about 10 strokes worse than if i played on a solid 8 hours of sleep. but i still love and of course i will play it under any circumstance especially when we payed for the season upfront!
Old 07-07-2007, 03:34 PM

usually when i play by myself. i usually never have any really bad rounds during competitions, those usually come when i'm playing "for fun" with ppl i dont know
Old 07-08-2007, 01:30 PM

I don't really notice a difference. I tend to be intense when I play that the surrounding "pressure" or lack of it will not be very relevant. I guess the only environemnt I don't like is playing with a bunch of people who are just screwing around drinking beer. (I'm not a stiff - just like to play with people who are "in" to the actual golf.)
Old 07-08-2007, 06:02 PM

When the game becomes "boring"

it usually means I am hitting fairways and greens though, which makes sense
Old 07-09-2007, 08:53 AM

In the rain, wetter the better with a card in my hand. I don't score better v. my "dry" game, but do play better v. the field, 80% of whom are just looking to get off the course. Meanwhile I club up and swing easier to avoid slipping/the grip slipping, and I'm looking at a top 10% finish. Easy.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 AM

I don't enjoy it as much, but I've consistently scored well when hungover. Probably due to low expectations, easier swing, better tempo, and not muddling my brain with any actual thoughts...
Old 07-09-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I mean is, in short, do you play your best when you are playing competitively, competitively for cash w/ friends, with friends, or by yourself?

I've found that I actually score lower when I play by myself, and yes, I count every stroke, and take no mulligans. I don't know why, maybe it's because when I play by myself it is usually evening, the course is wide open, and I just stand up and hit the ball. Over thinking the swing has always been an issue of mine.

Second, I play quite well competitively, e.g., golf team. I usually qualified as the 4th or 5th member, but always scored 2nd or 3rd on the team.

I probably equally well when I'm playing with a group, for money or not. Waiting kills my game (which makes it weird that I played well competitively), and the money we play for doesn't warrant a real "stepping up" if you will, although it does manage to slow the game down.

You?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do best when playing with competent players, when there's at least SOMETHING on the line that matters to them...and under conditions that most people find difficult (wind, rain, both...). I don't shoot the lowest of my life, but I tend to do a lot better at adjusting than others for some reason...