Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Music- Why the hell can\'t we have more Bob Dylans?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What I am saying again is that the total output of such has been greatly diminished as far as we in the ‘mainstream’ have been able to access it.

[/ QUOTE ]

People in the mainstream have internet access.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm.....I think you missed my point(or perhaps I've not stated it clearly enough?).

There's a difference between having 'internet access' as a delivery system for music, versus the combined marketing power of what was AM & FM of the 60's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that distinction. I guess my point is that we shouldn't confuse a lack of popular good musicians with a lack of good musicians.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Similarly, popular music really only got started with Elvis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently some guy named Sinatra was just an underground phenomenon.

Pop music goes back way further than Elvis, it just took different forms. Before recorded music, it was composers and live performers who were the Elvis of their day. Enrico Caruso was widely popular, made tons of records, and was a millionarie in the early 1900s from singing opera.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:10 PM

We have already had someone who was at least Dylan's equal in terms of songwriting: Townes Van Zandt. Unfortunately, he passed away in 1997.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What I am saying again is that the total output of such has been greatly diminished as far as we in the ‘mainstream’ have been able to access it.

[/ QUOTE ]

People in the mainstream have internet access.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm.....I think you missed my point(or perhaps I've not stated it clearly enough?).

There's a difference between having 'internet access' as a delivery system for music, versus the combined marketing power of what was AM & FM of the 60's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that distinction. I guess my point is that we shouldn't confuse a lack of popular good musicians with a lack of good musicians.

[/ QUOTE ]

.......and I agree with your point above, as you can imagine.

As I stated in my earlier post, this is a very complex issue and there's much more to it (IMO) than meets the eye.

The point that I'm discussing (at this moment) is one of the 'delivery system' of 'pop' music.

As another poster mentioned ...."what about Frank Sinatra?".

We need to examine 'How' his music became famous. Look at the delivery system for clues.

AM radio had become (during WWII) somewhat affordable to the middle class, and was the primary vehicle for popularizing music of that time, not just Sinatra's.

Vinyl recordings (78's) made their appearance and the sales of those financed the rise of recording studio's/company's which continued the expansion......etc. etc.