Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1 Turn

[ QUOTE ]
And a less probable scenario - in the event MJ has a better A we can get him out and buy ourselves 2 more outs maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name one better A that would:

-Play the hand the way he has played it so far (AQ and AK should have bet some time ago, AT may also have bet the flop)
-Overcall your call on this draw-happy board (smaller paired A's have to worry about the fact that they could be way behind and some of their "outs" put straights and flushes on the board (especially since he does not have the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
Old 09-21-2005, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm counting on villain paying off a value bet on the river because he's got a mountain of chips and my draw is pretty disguised.

[/ QUOTE ] We checked the flop and called the turn. This screams draw to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Co has over twice your chip stack and very likely has a set or two pair that will call your push because of the chance that you are betting a draw or AQ/KQ or AA here.

[/ QUOTE ] I would think he makes this same bet with KQ, QJ, J10. He has shown no strength at all in this hand. He has limp/called preflop and has checked the turn. If he has Q10 he probably bets the flop. So the only reasonable two pair hand is 109 and I'm not so sure he wouldn't bet that on the flop. He's tight, not scared.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:10 AM

If he bet less I would raise, but I hate calling a push 3 bet after i raised with a draw and only 1 card to come, so in this case I would call.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think he makes this same bet with KQ, QJ, J10.

[/ QUOTE ]

JT bets the flops (the same as the QT) if it doesn't then QT is also a likely holding on the turn. QJ semi-bluffs the flop or check-raises. It probably doesn't suddenly bet the turn because it's afraid of being raised off the draw if villain has AQ, as slow played set or AA.

What most likely bets the turn is a set that was looking to check-raise the flop, a super draw that plans on pushing over a raise, a turned straight, or two pair.

So you call because you've got little folding equity to those kinds of hands and you hope that big stacked villain still pays you off when you make your hand because he can't fold to a value bet on the river given how many chips he has and the fact that he's attached to his hand and he knows that you are fully capable of betting a scare card on the river.

When I said your draw is disguised what I meant was that you didn't bet a two flush board, check the turn, and then bet out on the river when it hit. It's hard to believe that the turn is the perfect card for your hand that lets you call when villain bets more than enough to shut out your odds of drawing to anything but a superdraw (remember Sossman's not an internet donk) as opposed to you calling with something like AA/AQ/KQ that doesn't reraise because it can't stand a push and you think there's a good chance villain is betting the draw or a weaker hand and depending on the river action you may be able to bluff villain off a stronger hand.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:53 PM

This looks a lot like a call. We just don't have a lot of FE here, and even though we have a big draw, we'd like to see the river without having to put in all our chips.

The risk of calling is a raise from the SB but I just don't think it's very likely that the SB goes for a check-raise on the turn, on this dangerous board, after it's been checked around on the flop. And there are too many ways you or the CO can have a real hand for him to check-raise this with air.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:03 PM

I can see a very good case fr a semi-bluff raise here. With at least 10 outs on the river to the winner (assuming not only that aces wont be good enough, but also that the 9 and 3 of [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] would give CO a full house).

I'm sticking with my read on the CO, namely that he has a set of 9s. As such, I think he would reraise a semi-bluff to protect his hand. I call here and hope MJ does the same.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:09 PM

most likely the queen hit the co. (yet u have a draw to a royal flush, that alone is enough to call if he pushed all in--just kidding) a call here is both weak and scary. weak beacuse looks like ur on draw. scary beacause it may look like ur slow playing a monster. he could have two clubs and be semi bluffing. im leary of the call because when a blank comes on the turn its over. and a raise only walks into the co's possible set. yet i say call with all the outs.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:52 PM

I flat call here as I now have a great draw but I'm certainly behind at this point with a tight player making a potsized bet into 2 players and I don't believe raising here after checking on the flop is getting him to fold a good hand.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:53 PM

fold..you lost the lead on the flop
Old 09-28-2005, 05:34 PM

I'm not sure anybody has recommended this, probably because people are afraid to bust on an all-out bluff. Call the turn. Obviously get whatever chips you can if you hit one of your draws. In the event that you miss, you fold to a bet and push if he checks. If he really had a good hand, which he bet on the turn and got a call with, he would almost always bet into us again on the river. The fact that he's slowing down here indicates that he's probably planning to check-call a reasonable bet, and he's hoping you'll give him a good price. Either that, or he's looking for a free showdown with an A-high/small pocket pair type hand and will fold to any bet. He's very rarely checking with the intention of calling an all-in. Seriously, who does that? When did we give him any indication that we wouldn't check behind him? I take his show of weakness and drive him out of the hand here almost every time.