Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 03:57 PM

Default A guy did this twice in a live tourney....

I can't remember all of the details but that's okay because they are not important.

A player in a live NL tourney has a stack of chips, let's say a couple of 100s, 500s and 1000s. He has say 12500 chips and is using a 500 chip to cover his cards. The action is on him at the river. He lines up his chips and pushes them saying "12,000", leaving a 500 on his cards. His opponent says "call", and having him covered the dealer pulls in the 24,000 and asks the guy to show.

It was kind of an interesting move because the blinds were 200/400 so the guy had a chip and a chair if he lost.

I realize his opponent could simply sall all-in and that last 500 chip would have to go in as well. But if an opponent doesn't see this and just calls, well that's the way she goes.

What do you think of this move?
Old 09-22-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: A guy did this twice in a live tourney....

nothing wrong with it. kinda stupid but he did not declare allin or misannounce his chips stack.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:42 PM

Technically he is showing his hand with chips still in play, if he is keeping his 500 behind.

Showing a hand down before the river when there is not an all in situation in tournament play is against the rules, correct?
Old 09-22-2007, 04:47 PM

Read the post again. OP says "The action is on him at the river."
Old 09-22-2007, 05:55 PM

I pretty often push 98% of my chips in during a tournament and purposely DO NOT go all-in. I get kinda grumpy when the dealer or players not in the hand start spewing "He's all-in" or worse "He's almost all-in HAHA". I'm doing it on purpose so I don't have to say the words...it's a psychological thing, I think, and folks behave differently at the table when they face an "all-in" bet vs a carefully measured out, seemingly exactly contemplated 12,000. And if they don't notice that I have 500 left after betting 12,000, that's cool--that's what I'm hoping for.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read the post again. OP says "The action is on him at the river."

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to yell at you and tell you that you're wrong, but you're not.

I also misread the OP, thinking that the cards were being turned up before the action was complete.

Probably because that's the only circumstance that would justify a thread. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2007, 06:09 PM

My bad. Didn't notice that initially.

Nothing wrong with this then.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:28 PM

Now that you mention it, the "all in" sounds a lot more powerful than a simple bet. I guess the only catch is that it looks silly if they notice it, and could catch on. The effectiveness lies in the fact that many (and at some tables, most) people aren't paying any attention to the details at the table, such as stack size. They hear some medium amount of money announced as the cost to play, check their hand, then call. An "all in" may well kill some action in this case.

Never seen it used as a tactic, tho.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pretty often push 98% of my chips in during a tournament and purposely DO NOT go all-in. I get kinda grumpy when the dealer or players not in the hand start spewing "He's all-in" or worse "He's almost all-in HAHA". I'm doing it on purpose so I don't have to say the words...it's a psychological thing, I think, and folks behave differently at the table when they face an "all-in" bet vs a carefully measured out, seemingly exactly contemplated 12,000. And if they don't notice that I have 500 left after betting 12,000, that's cool--that's what I'm hoping for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, that's why I ALWAYS ask the dealer if he's all in before considering a call.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that you mention it, the "all in" sounds a lot more powerful than a simple bet. I guess the only catch is that it looks silly if they notice it, and could catch on. The effectiveness lies in the fact that many (and at some tables, most) people aren't paying any attention to the details at the table, such as stack size. They hear some medium amount of money announced as the cost to play, check their hand, then call. An "all in" may well kill some action in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if you're playing against very good players. Against typical tournament donks, an all-in is more likely to draw a call than a big bet. Something happens in the brains of these people when they hear the words, and they start to drool at the prospect of knocking someone out. I've seen people call, that were not horrible players, with hands that I'm certain would have folded to a big bet. For some reason they think that a person that goes all-in is desperate. How often have you seen $150 in a pot, an all-in, and a call with less than aces or kings?