Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Removing the bias: Anonymous College Football Rankings

[ QUOTE ]
Neither computer polls nor human polls are great, but actually I would guess that in the cases of major discrepancies the human polls are probably more in line with the "Vegas" opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would disagree. See Wisconsin vs. Illinois. Computers said it was close, Vegas said Illinois was the favorite, and human polls said Wisconsin was #5 (wtf???) and Illinois was unranked. Of course that's computers that DO use margin of victory. Computers without margin of victory cannot be compared to the "Vegas" opinion in any reasonable way because they're assessing completely different things.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:55 PM

grunch

Did most of the math in my head, and I didn't do a whole lot of math so there we go.

1. G
2. F
3. H
4. B
5. C
6. J
7. A
8. E
9. I
10. D
Old 10-23-2007, 11:46 PM

i would do this but i know who like 3 of the teams are
Old 10-24-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And then we can add in margin of victory, which is the second important statistic in determining team strenght.

And then, voila! We have a computer ranking

[/ QUOTE ]
this isn't saying much. computers are just doing what we do: objectively assimilating, analyzing and quantifying the relevant data. they assist us in making the decisions we want to because there is a ton of data that we can't go through, but would organize a certain way if we had the time to do it by hand. it seems like what you are saying is given this data everyone would end up with the same ranking, which is not true, because everyone would have their own rules for organizing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The computer polls are doing what we are doing here in this thread. They aren't doing anything like what the human polls are doing. The human polls are ALSO rationally analyzing a whole bunch of data but they are doing so in an extremely irratic, imperfect fashion, and they are involving a whole bunch of variables and qualifiers that they themselves would admit were foolish if they were consciously aware of them.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And then we can add in margin of victory, which is the second important statistic in determining team strenght.

And then, voila! We have a computer ranking

[/ QUOTE ]
this isn't saying much. computers are just doing what we do: objectively assimilating, analyzing and quantifying the relevant data. they assist us in making the decisions we want to because there is a ton of data that we can't go through, but would organize a certain way if we had the time to do it by hand. it seems like what you are saying is given this data everyone would end up with the same ranking, which is not true, because everyone would have their own rules for organizing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The computer polls are doing what we are doing here in this thread. They aren't doing anything like what the human polls are doing. The human polls are ALSO rationally analyzing a whole bunch of data but they are doing so in an extremely irratic, imperfect fashion, and they are involving a whole bunch of variables and qualifiers that they themselves would admit were foolish if they were consciously aware of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
exactly. if everyone who made up the human polls did what we are doing here to any degree the polls would converge on what the reality was. unfortunately, for every guy that does what we are doing here there are three that make a ton of assumptions and let their preconceived notions enter into the equation, skewing the results into subjective crap.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Strengths of schedule. 1st column is the team's win-loss, 2nd is combined opponent's win-loss, 3rd is details of the loss:

1. J (6-1) (.620) (@ 5-2, 30-27)
2. H (7-1) (.607) (@ 6-2, 43-37)
3. E (6-1) (.540) (5-2, 31-24)
4. F (7-0) (.500)
4. I (6-1) (.500) (@ 7-1, 48-7)
6. G (8-0) (.484)
7. D (7-1) (.450) (@ 4-4, 27-24)
8. A (6-1) (.442) (@ 6-1, 21-13)
9. C (7-0) (.392)
10. B (7-0) (.377)

Given all this, my list goes like this:

1. F
2. G
3. J
4. H
5. E
6. C
7. B
8. I
9. A
10. D

F and G played decently hard schedules, and managed to go unbeaten. J H and E played the toughest schedules out of the entire group, and their one loss games were close against winning teams. While team I played a much harder schedule than the remaining two unbeatens, C and B, I punish them for having the only blowout loss out of all the 1 loss teams. Finally are D and A who played tougher schedules than C and B but lost once. I punish D for losing to a worse team than A, even though D played a slightly tougher schedule.

[/ QUOTE ]

This list was:
1. BC
2. tOSU
3. USF
4. LSU
5. ORE
6. ASU
7. KU
8. VT
9. WVU
10. OU

I don't know, looks interesting. If this system and my interpretation is valid it would indicate USF is severely underrated and Oklahoma is overrated. Oklahoma makes sense they got the worst computer ranking of anyone in the top 10.

Here are the BCS computer rankings:

1. BC
2. LSU
3. tOSU
4. ASU
5. USF
6. UV (huh?)
7. KU
8. VT
9. ORE
T10. WVU
T10. UF

I'm guessing Oregon gets no love from the computers because they haven't reached the really hard part of their schedule yet. The analysis I did using the Sagarin Predictor showed that Oregon's total schedule was significantly tougher than LSU's. However for the most part in the Sagarin ratings the SEC teams are ranked higher while in the Predictor the Pac 10 teams are, and I used the Predictor. If the different systems used for the BCS resemble the Predictor more than the normal Sagarin ratings Oregon should overtake LSU in the computers if they win out. The question of whether they will in the polls is another matter. Also one cannot factor in the SEC championship game, but the Predictor showed Oregon's schedule to be significatly tougher, enough to where one game, even against a number 1 wouldn't be enough. I did average opponents rank though and I don't know how valid that is. LSU's non conference opponents were all in the low 100s and even 200s (minus VT, though the Predictor ranks nowhere near the top 10). This killed their strength of schedule using that method.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:53 AM

Problem is that the BCS computers don't use margin of victory, and the predictor does, so the predictor is not actually a good tool to use when analyzing how tough a team's schedule will be in the "minds" of the BCS computers.