Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Brag: randomly staked a guy and won $96,600

[ QUOTE ]
Sick brag obv...
Imagine if he'd came in first oO

[/ QUOTE ]

They made a deal HU so first would have netted Rup a little over 21k more.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lololol you guys. Like you would actually send the 100k. And of course I would not also. But I would send something like 5% so it could look like we had a deal. It would only be my word against yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

scumbag POS. scumbags like this cant believe there are honest people out there. cant believe these idiots are advertising thier dishonesty here.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Man to all the people saying they wouldnt ship 100k, he won 40k from nothing!! Id think that would make it so much easier that most should have no problem probably, especially considering how much he owe to the staker who staked a guy with little to no record..

Also isnt 30/70 pretty reasonable considering hes staking a guy with no makeup and with no track record??

[/ QUOTE ]

I know there are a lot of people on here who make a bajillion doallars a month playing or poker or with a real job. I'm freshly out of college with a mountain of debt and a [censored] job. 100K is live changing money for me. 100K is more than I can realistically ever win playing poker. If I ever luckboxed my way into a huge win like that I'm honestly not sure I could ship the whole 100K. Not exactly sure where my moral "grey area" starts because I can say I'd have no problem shipping 10K-30K. But I'm not sure if i won 140K in a tourney that I wouldnt just cash it all out and retire from poker

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a very good point. Much of the hate is coming from people who could care less about $100k, they are loaded already. For a small stakes player for whom it could really be a life-changing amount, it might be more of a dilemma.

[/ QUOTE ]

one time i was absolutely busto, a guy staked me at the Foxwoods 5-5 NL game, and i won him 30k of which i was supposed to keep 10. now that 20k would have meant a lot to me given that previously that day i couldn't even afford a sandwich, but i gave it to him anyway without any thought.

he gave me an extra 10k because he wasn't expecting me to win so much and the money didn't mean much to him.

so yeah, we only talk about keeping our word because we're financially well-off and nobody who's ever been busto has thought that a staking deal is worth keeping even if you make a guy a ton of money (he was only expecting me to win like 3 or 4 k max).
Old 10-18-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Man to all the people saying they wouldnt ship 100k, he won 40k from nothing!! Id think that would make it so much easier that most should have no problem probably, especially considering how much he owe to the staker who staked a guy with little to no record..

Also isnt 30/70 pretty reasonable considering hes staking a guy with no makeup and with no track record??

[/ QUOTE ]

I know there are a lot of people on here who make a bajillion doallars a month playing or poker or with a real job. I'm freshly out of college with a mountain of debt and a [censored] job. 100K is live changing money for me. 100K is more than I can realistically ever win playing poker. If I ever luckboxed my way into a huge win like that I'm honestly not sure I could ship the whole 100K. Not exactly sure where my moral "grey area" starts because I can say I'd have no problem shipping 10K-30K. But I'm not sure if i won 140K in a tourney that I wouldnt just cash it all out and retire from poker

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a very good point. Much of the hate is coming from people who could care less about $100k, they are loaded already. For a small stakes player for whom it could really be a life-changing amount, it might be more of a dilemma.

[/ QUOTE ]

100k is a life changing amount to me. The fact that the more money it is the less likely you are to fulfill your end of the bargain is pretty funny.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My point was all about scale. I was saying I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to give someone $100k just for lending me $55.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, first off, you keep saying $55 and the tournament was $215.

Second, you keep shrugging it off as "lended" money, which makes me think you don't really know how staking works (not that knowing will ever be relevant for you).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he goes busto if he gets staked so he doesn't know about the giving back the winnings part of it.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:09 PM

wow, that's a sick brag man.
Congrats!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:23 PM

The fact is that bustos like luckyjimm are busto for a reason. There is a clear connection between being a dishonest degen and being a losing player. Impatience, short-term thinking, greed, fear, self-hatred, all of these character flaws are as crippling to your bankroll as they are to your friend count. Why do great players have so many friends around them, do you think? It's not just because they are winning...when they are busto they can get stakes because being a great player REQUIRES them to have the foresight and self-control to be trustworthy also. Tufat's point was very well taken, and will be proved over and over again in the gambling community: A friend is better than a dollar. When you're busto again Jimm, think about why it happened and see if you can connect your ability to control your in-game actions with your statements in this thread.

NH to you OP and Hojo.

--GA
Old 10-18-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was just hanging in #hsmtt on Sunday and JayPez was putting some dudes into the $11 100k. I was like i'll one up this dude and put a loada peeps into a $55 that was about to start. One of the guys had like a pretty solid record at the $2 multis on full tilt so I asked if he wanted to play the Sunday million. We struck a 70/30 deal and it was set.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, congrats to Rupert and Hojo. Y'all both deserve it.

I'm a little confused, you bought Hojo into the Million for $215, not the $55 mtt, right? If so, his 2nd place finish is even more impressive than I initially realized.

And I can't help but comment on Lucky Jimm, even tho I think all the drama takes away from the overall awesomeness of the event. So many players would act just the way Jimm would, and that's why we're all so proud of Hojo and Rupert. Jimm, I give you props for posting a honest opinion of what you might do. Of course, not honoring an agreement is dishonest. You're a forthright poster, and I think it should be obvious to any player who's read your posts that self control isn't your strong suit. Just my theory, but I'd like to imagine part of the key to Hojo's success comes from being a person of moral fortitude.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:37 PM

Georgia you just explained it wonderfully.

Poker has taught me more about my shortcomings than anything else has in my life. The best part is that through poker, I always have a great way to test myself, and to measure if I am really growing as a person and player.

Sorry for the testimonial, but Rupert and Hojo's success is honestly inspiring.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact is that bustos like luckyjimm are busto for a reason. There is a clear connection between being a dishonest degen and being a losing player. Impatience, short-term thinking, greed, fear, self-hatred, all of these character flaws are as crippling to your bankroll as they are to your friend count. Why do great players have so many friends around them, do you think? It's not just because they are winning...when they are busto they can get stakes because being a great player REQUIRES them to have the foresight and self-control to be trustworthy also. Tufat's point was very well taken, and will be proved over and over again in the gambling community: A friend is better than a dollar. When you're busto again Jimm, think about why it happened and see if you can connect your ability to control your in-game actions with your statements in this thread.

NH to you OP and Hojo.

--GA

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not busto I'm up $1650 the last eight days. (Was $1900 but I lost some this afternoon, no sweat).

I have paid back EVERY SINGLE PENNY I ever borrowed to play poker with. The money I've been staked (from three different people adding up to under $400 lifetime) I sadly lost. But every time I ever borrowed anything from anybody I paid it back, whether from people I knew at poker clubs, friends, or people I knew online. So don't talk about my character or what I'm like in reality based on a few theoretical, devils advocate speculations made in a BBV thread.