Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: What Are Your Early Poker Memories?

[ QUOTE ]

Poker sure has gotten respectable. I sure miss it the way it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?
I think only really really old people think like this, and even then, it's still nutty.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My next novel is about the composite characters I met on 2 Plus 2 and 2 Plus 2 is a character. I need your help. There's the poker queen, scammer, world-class beauty who everyone in the book loves. Mandi. There's her older Mentor, wise man in sheep's clothing. There's the Internet whiz who Mandi owes as does many people. He falls for varied scams. His side kick and stake horse is LuckySlim, an Englishman who comes over to engage in outrageous prop bets. There's Dylan, poker hero of my first novel. All of these love Mandi, heads up, prop bets, Vegas, and pouring their lives out on Two Plus Two. There's the comic mod, as commentor along the way. I was already writing on the inheritance, loan me scam before the latest wonderful episode grabbed me. As Amarillo Slim said, "If you are going to be a sucker, be a quite one."

[/ QUOTE ]

Change luckyslim to being a broke loser who comes over to beg winners for stakes while bragging about turning $0 to $4600 to $0 for complete 2+2 accuracy please. And figure out a way to insert a POB in there somewhere too.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:45 AM

I don't know if I should deposit $50 into this site. Party Poker? What if they just steal my money. Ah, what the hell.

-the end
Old 09-26-2007, 05:05 AM

When I was 7 I moved to a new school. The first recess break I went outside and saw many of the boys playing this marble game where one guy would put a marble against the wall, draw a line 5 feet away or so . If you stood behind the line and hit the marble with your marble you got both. If you missed he got to keep yours.

Well I immediately saw the edge in this so I devised a plan where I put the marble in a very small divot and put a very small pebble in front of it. I then told everyone Id give two marbles if you hit mine. I eventually had so many marbles I was selling them for 10c each. At the end of the school year I had over $500 dollars.

My Grandparents owned a campground on a lake. I caught about 20 frogs one summer and held frog races with all the kids at the campground. The beauty of these races is I charged 25c to enter, 25c to "rent a frog" then I would hold a race when we reached 10 entrants. The winner would get 2 bucks and second would get 1 buck for a 2 dollar profit for me each race-which worked out to about 8 bucks an hour, not bad for an 8 year old.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:27 AM

In the early '70s my dad would have a weekly game with his pals. They would go down to the basement and play all night and smoke big cigars and drink. My little brother and I would sneak down there and hop on his lap and want to play. They played jacks or better trips to win, and pot limit seven card stud. We had the same plastic chip caddy and card holder for over 20 years.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:44 AM

Hi,

I am new to the site and thought this is a good place for my first post.

I am from the Philippines, gambling is a big part of our culture. I grew up at cockfights and racetracks and started gambling while in elementary school. Back then used to play chinese poker, it is very popular here. It is called Pusoy. 25-50-25 (.50-$1-.50) 200 prop if you win all three or have no facecards we would play on the school bus and in art room. I was always lucky and almost got expelled because of this kid who ratted on the game and me in particular. He lost his weeks allowance and more. He payed the rest of with his nikes. Its a good things are parents knew each other and worked it out with the principal. I kept the cash but had to return the shoes.

In highschool we would play NL 5card draw (with two draws). I remember going to the beach and playing drunk/stoned all day with my friends. Everyone was cheating passing cards under the table and the funny thing was the table had a glass top. Holdem was not popular back then. I was one of the few kids who knew the rules because I would see it on tv when to the US for summer. Now it is very popular here and is the only game spread legally.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:56 AM

In the early 70-ies my mom still hung out with friends and didn't realize, that soon happy days will be over.

p.s. Nice story.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The gamblers were holding out. The suckers were drawing out. Our money was running out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this Johnny Hughes, hope the book is NY times best-seller
Old 09-26-2007, 01:51 PM

I played draw poker with my dad, I took a month's allowance off of him when I drew quads versus his straight.

He didn't play me for another 17 years. Then he called me down with 7-3. I had 7-2. In 2023, the rivalry shall continue.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Early memory of poker Live?....playing "baseball for quaters when i was 10.
Online......Pocketing my raises for 2 years, hiding it from my thn wife and when i turned 21 depositing it on party poker and running a couple hundred into 20k...ahhh he old days....