Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 04:22 PM

Default (NL25) Extracting vs very bad player

This hand turned out strange. Villain is 62/0/0.3 over a small sample of hands. He seems to play in every pot that isn't raised, so I figure his range of cards is huge. However the small aggression factor makes me worried about what he bets with.

On the flop I figured that my hand has showdown value against his range, so I was thinking of check-calling the hand down.

The turn again made me want to check since I think he could bet with more hands than he'd call with, although.

The river gave me the second nuts, and now I'm hoping villain would have a smaller boat. I was worried he'd check behind since he is so passive, but I figured he'd might want to take a last stab at the pot. Is my CRAI too strong, should I bet less? Comments on all streets are very welcome.

$0.15/$0.25 No Limit Holdem
9 players
Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
UTG (<font color="#0000cc">$37.15</font>)
UTG+1 (<font color="#0000cc">$2.00</font>)
MP1 (<font color="#0000cc">$40.78</font>)
MP2 (<font color="#0000cc">$23.05</font>)
MP3 (<font color="#0000cc">$2.64</font>)
CO (<font color="#0000cc">$11.60</font>)
BTN (<font color="#0000cc">$4.75</font>)
SB (<font color="#0000cc">$24.25</font>)
Hero (<font color="#0000cc">$28.40</font>)

Pre-flop: ($0.4, 9 players) Hero is BB K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#777777">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls $0.25, <font color="#777777">2 folds</font>, SB calls $0.1, Hero checks

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1, 4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $1</font>, <font color="#777777">1 fold</font>, <font color="#777777">SB folds</font>, Hero calls $1

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($3, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($9, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $9</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero goes all-in $24.15</font>,
Old 11-22-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Re: (NL25) Extracting vs very bad player

I think he bets like this with AJ/QJ/55/66, and with those numbers, possibly J5 and J6 (though I'd lean towards the first group). That having been said, I think you're getting called by all of these hands on the river and KK is VERY unlikely. NH [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2007, 04:33 PM

So you approve of my line? Check-calling to the river...
Old 11-22-2007, 04:44 PM

Yup. I think that he's here with a worse jack than you often enough to make calling profitable, but he's so passive that 55/66 are a good part of his range too. I think c/cing the flop and turn balances this out (especially since he's potting both streets). If he'd bet less on the flop, I might be inclined to lead out the turn, but my guess is if you'd led those streets, it'd be for less than the pot. (Probably not by much though) and he'd probably call instead of raising. Once he pots the river, he's essentially committed to the pot, so get the rest of the money in.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure his range of cards is huge. However the small aggression factor makes me worried about what he bets with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like your line and I think that leading this flop is standard. If this particular villain raises, you will have a very strong idea where you are at. You played this WAY too passively IMO.
Also, you said yourself that the sample is small, so there is no reason to truly believe that he is that passive.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont like your line and I think that leading this flop is standard. If this particular villain raises, you will have a very strong idea where you are at. You played this WAY too passively IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lately I've been experimenting with calling down TP-hands when OOP, especially if its the one in the last position that bets. The reason is that I often get in trouble in multiway pots when a villain just calls my flop bet and if an overcard or a draw hits on the turn, or even if it blanks I feel lost &amp; confused since I don't want to throw away more money, but villain will often bet a worse hand if I check. Check-calling often makes (passive) villains check turn and I can take the pot on the river or check it down. I think this also makes it harder for thinking villains to steal from me, since they'll see that I can check made hands. This was one of the reasons I posted the hand, since I'd like to know what better players think of this.

That said I think in this case the results would have been the same if I had bet three streets for value.

He thought for a long time about my CRAI and finaly called with QJo, so I was ahead the whole time.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lately I've been experimenting with calling down TP-hands when OOP, especially if its the one in the last position that bets. The reason is that I often get in trouble in multiway pots when a villain just calls my flop bet and if an overcard or a draw hits on the turn, or even if it blanks I feel lost &amp; confused since I don't want to throw away more money, but villain will often bet a worse hand if I check. Check-calling often makes (passive) villains check turn and I can take the pot on the river or check it down. I think this also makes it harder for thinking villains to steal from me, since they'll see that I can check made hands. This was one of the reasons I posted the hand, since I'd like to know what better players think of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny because I've been experimenting with the same thing for the very same reasons. There will definitely come a time (not sure what level exactly) where I don't think this will be a viable strategy. However the players as a whole are much weaker in the micros and they will often bet their dominated hands for me.

Generally I think I'm liking my results thus far. How about you?
Old 11-23-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Generally I think I'm liking my results thus far. How about you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm loving it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I catch a lot of bluffs with it too. And hopefully villains won't always try to bluff me when I don't c-bet if they think I can check a made hand.