Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Police kill Polish man @ Vancouver Airport

K's story of the romanian people worrying about their connecting flight illustrates how a whole chain of problems could ensue if part of your travel plans go awry, and if you're thinking maybe you could prevent that from happening if you could just communicate with someone, it must be extremely aggravating. I could see the frustration mounting up to an extreme.

FWIW, I have never been a fan of cops playing fast and easy with people's necks, whether tasers are involved or not. Or their other joints really, but especially their necks! Choke holds, whatever, it doesn't matter. Anybody involved with applying force to the human anatomy should have a clear understanding of how dangerous it is to do certain things. It's not like one joint is exactly like any other. I can understand if there's really a fight going on that an officer has every right to defend himself, but your response still has to be a responsible one. Being a cop changes nothing about that. If anything, it should hold you to a higher standard.

Once a guy is docile, if you still keep applying pain to him, not only is it simply unethical, but you are very likely to force a defensive and/or panicked physical response from him. That just increases the chance someone will get hurt, including the officers themselves, and might result in unnecessary criminal charges against a citizen who was merely responding like anyone would who was scared, in pain, or both. Applying more force than is necessary is not only bad police work, it's counter-productive.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The knee in the neck, is that necessary?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, that is standard procedure when taking someone down. people have been tasered and still been able to fight. the knee in the neck isn't meant to cause more harm, it's just a control method.

as for the taser being necessary, that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of things aren't meant to be harmful, or at least there is room to claim they aren't, but nevertheless can be harmful. Lots of those things aren't done anymore. Efficiency is definitely not the only or best criteria.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:37 PM

I am a Canaidian living in the Vancouver area and I (like most) am sickened by this. It should have never happened and that is the sentiment of the majority of Canadians.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tasering seems to have become standard protocol in America. When the things originally came out it was claimed they could be used in place of guns, to save lives. Now they are used as a matter of course to control people who aren't in any way dangerous. It's wrong and I can't believe there isn't more oversight and control.

[/ QUOTE ]

[x] America sucks
[x] Content
[ ] Smileys
[ ] Too many !'s
[ ] LOL
Old 11-16-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tasering seems to have become standard protocol in America. When the things originally came out it was claimed they could be used in place of guns, to save lives. Now they are used as a matter of course to control people who aren't in any way dangerous. It's wrong and I can't believe there isn't more oversight and control.

[/ QUOTE ]

[x] America sucks
[x] Content
[ ] Smileys
[ ] Too many !'s
[ ] LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Cute, overused, and completely wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Wait:

[x] Cute
[x] Overused
[x] Completely wrong

Much bettah! LOL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[x] America sucks
[x] Content
[ ] Smileys
[ ] Too many !'s
[ ] LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

tom, I think you've got the wrong guy, that's Phil, not Midge.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the guy just needed a cigarette.

[/ QUOTE ]

kilgore,

actually that was the case. mr. dziekanski had quit smoking the day prior to the incident. even with cigarettes the effects of withdrawal can be quite severe for some people: it places the body into a state of extreme stress which leads to a mental imbalance. it seems that this, along with being detained whilst unable to communicate, led to the obvious distress seen in the tape. the guy just needed a smoke and a translator, instead overzealous cops took his life. sad.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:26 AM

i do not want to judge too quickly. it makes me wonder, "were those officers trained that way?" if the answer is yes, well let's adjust that training! if the answer is no, well what should they have done instead?

i will not pretend to be an expert, that's why i'm hesitant to shout, "[censored] THA POLICE!"
Old 11-17-2007, 02:34 AM

show,

no, they are not trained that way. there is a hierarchy of intervention that officers are supposed to move through in dealing with volatile situations. tasers are at the top of that hierarchy just before lethal force, ie. firearms. in this instance the police skipped the intermediary steps and attacked mr. dziekanski almost immediately. furthermore, once the harm had been done they did not treat him. they did not administer first aid. the officers did not even place mr. dziekanski in the recovery position which, by the way, they said they had prior to the video coming out.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:52 AM

Wow, that was totally messed up. It looked like they thought they could shock him into understanding English. It would appear to me that they were upset that he was being disrespectful by walking away when they were trying to talk to him so they decided to zap him.