Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 02:46 AM

Default Re: $16 Stars Turbo. AJs - Level 4.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is raising to 500 going to accomplish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Traditionally I've always raised here to build the pot and protect my hand pre-flop but I see what you're saying about being OOP with an awkward stack size and all.

So in this situation given a hand like AKs you're just calling from the SB to prevent having to play the pot in an awkward spot OOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

AK > AJ
AJ ain't so great.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is raising to 500 going to accomplish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Traditionally I've always raised here to build the pot and protect my hand pre-flop but I see what you're saying about being OOP with an awkward stack size and all.

So in this situation given a hand like AKs you're just calling from the SB to prevent having to play the pot in an awkward spot OOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

not necessarily, AK certainly fares much better than AJ. If you think about it, there are that many more combinations in their limping ranges for all of their Ax hands. AK is much more powerful than AJ and im usually willing to build a pot more often with a hand like AK when i dont need to worry about as marginal of spots, being that a) you can put in a larger pf raise, narrow the field and still fare to have the best hand and b) you dont have to worry about as marginal of spots when you hit with AK (you can be sure most of the time youre good) whereas with AJ as ive touched on youre going to find yourself in a spot more often where your hand may not be good/will not fare as well vs likely ranges when facing heavy action post flop.

With something like 1500 chips and another limper, i would quite often shove with AJ pf in this spot, as we would no longer be worried about having to play a pot oop with money behind with a hand that could be in trouble post flop and even when called are usually well ahead of the limping ranges at this level (but still wouldnt want to make a standard raise pf for risk of these situations).

god i suck at rambling [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2007, 10:53 AM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I knew when I folded that I was going to catch some flak when I posted.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
with a couple more limpers im more likely to PVS but it is an ok spot to do it in for sure....calling preflop is also reasonable. as played on the flop you really need to bet out, you still likely have the best hand and check/folding TPTK even on a monotone flop is really weak and giving up value IMO. if you face resistance you can reevaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, well said. I take back everything in my post.

[/ QUOTE ]

So nice to have you back.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:44 AM

i would call flop bet, i like pre flop tbh aj aint that great. if no heart falls down on turn/river im probly check/calling down
Old 07-07-2007, 12:29 PM

preflop i love the limp, i dont want to build a big pot with a crappy hand oop

on the flop i'm checking because at this level too many ppl call my one bet and then i have to decide on the turn if they have a flush draw when the 4th heart hits when a lot of times they'll just have QxJx etc. if it goes bet/raise i can easily muck. if it checks around and the turn isn't a heart then i'm leading out. when it goes check check bet back to me, calling sucks but i'm actually going to raise here, willing to get myself allin against AhXx or a dominated jack. too many ppl call here with any jack or any big heart but i don't want to cripple myself by folding on the turn.

i know that probably wasn't very coherent but if someone can give me a reason why checkraising unless 2 ppl put chips in the pot is bad (even if it goes bet/call i would fold prob)
Old 07-07-2007, 01:49 PM

I shove this pf, people love to limp/fold and those same people won't fold their garbage if you make a standard raise. If someone limped a monster hand just make a note, that doesn't happen very often.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I shove this pf, people love to limp/fold and those same people won't fold their garbage if you make a standard raise. If someone limped a monster hand just make a note, that doesn't happen very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoving seems a bit extreme with >18BB. If I had 1400 I'd probably push.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:59 PM

You are somewhat deep, but they won't often have AK or AQ, so worst case as long as they didn't limp a monster is getting looked up by a PP and flipping. Shoving takes this down very often for a fair amount of chips compared to your stack, completing or making a standard raise won't win you the pot nearly as often.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are somewhat deep, but they won't often have AK or AQ, so worst case as long as they didn't limp a monster is getting looked up by a PP and flipping. Shoving takes this down very often for a fair amount of chips compared to your stack, completing or making a standard raise won't win you the pot nearly as often.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get called by pocket pairs often here.