Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 12:46 AM

Default $16 Stars Turbo. AJs - Level 4.

I thought this was a relatively interesting hand. I am very open to how everyone else would play it, because I am far from convinced my way is optimal.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t1860)
BB (t2315)
UTG (t2620)
UTG+1 (t1280)
MP1 (t740)
MP2 (t1150)
CO (t1460)
Button (t2075)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t100, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t100, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t400) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t300</font>, Hero folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: t700

All players are readless. I'm new to the $16s (with many thanks to a certain someone), and I have plenty tables going. Thoughts on both preflop and flop are welcome, and if you plan on going past the flop, your plan for the turn. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: $16 Stars Turbo. AJs - Level 4.

I might PVS preflop OOP if I thought there was a good chance to take it down (i.e. villains were limptards). But calling is reasonable given the stack sizes and since you say you had no reads.

ZOMG bet the flop. As played, ZOMG don't fold to the bet. Call then play for cheap showdown from there if you aren't going to bet out.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:01 AM

with a couple more limpers im more likely to PVS but it is an ok spot to do it in for sure....calling preflop is also reasonable. as played on the flop you really need to bet out, you still likely have the best hand and check/folding TPTK even on a monotone flop is really weak and giving up value IMO. if you face resistance you can reevaluate.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with a couple more limpers im more likely to PVS but it is an ok spot to do it in for sure....calling preflop is also reasonable. as played on the flop you really need to bet out, you still likely have the best hand and check/folding TPTK even on a monotone flop is really weak and giving up value IMO. if you face resistance you can reevaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, well said. I take back everything in my post.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, last time i checked, posters looking for opinions wanted more than one reply from someone that they have not seen around this forum in quite some time (or at all for many of the n00bs).

but i will certainly be sure to end all of my posts from now on with the copyright information you've so graciously provided.

pwned.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:38 AM

I raise to t500 preflop and fold if UTG moves AI (even if I'm getting almost 2 to 1 this early on). If MP3 calls I put him AI on the flop and still have t710 left if he wins.

As played, why not check-call bet AI on the turn if any non-heart falls?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, last time i checked, posters looking for opinions wanted more than one reply from someone that they have not seen around this forum in quite some time (or at all for many of the n00bs).

but i will certainly be sure to end all of my posts from now on with the copyright information you've so graciously provided.

pwned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you've gotten grumpy in your old age. No harshin my mellow. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

P.S. Note the number of posts of OP. Re-pwned. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise to t500 preflop and fold if UTG moves AI (even if I'm getting almost 2 to 1 this early on). If MP3 calls I put him AI on the flop and still have t710 left if he wins.

As played, why not check-call bet AI on the turn if any non-heart falls?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause in general you are only gonna get called if you are beat.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you've gotten grumpy in your old age. No harshin my mellow. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

P.S. Note the number of posts of OP. Re-pwned. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey man i just have to dish it out as it comes, got to protect my honor here, dont worry about it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

and to yellow,

what is raising to 500 going to accomplish? youre going to bloat this huge pot oop and bank on hitting and not getting any value out of a big hand you flop and basically putting yourself in a really awkward spot in a big pot with an awkward stack size. shoving pf&gt;raising to 500 after 3 limpers out of the sb
Old 07-07-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is raising to 500 going to accomplish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Traditionally I've always raised here to build the pot and protect my hand pre-flop but I see what you're saying about being OOP with an awkward stack size and all.

So in this situation given a hand like AKs you're just calling from the SB to prevent having to play the pot in an awkward spot OOP?