Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A player is cheated if his opponent ever calls the clock on him when the opponent has the nuts
Yes 0 0%
No 47 100.00%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Re: The Official NHL Playoffs Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How they reverse that goal is ridiculous.

How they gave Buffalo the 4th goal in the first game is ridiculous.

I don't want to hear any whining from Buffalo fans about calls. The officiating in this series has been so pro-Buffalo it's obscene.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whine after losing Game 1 by 3 [censored] goals, benefit from the officials in Game 2, and then pro-actively complain about Buffalo fans "whining" when nobody has. Just wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about? Nobody said Buffalo didn't deserve to win game 1 or that they aren't the better team overall.

The benefit of the officiating in game 2? Are you high? Other than the x-check on Briere at the end tell me one call against Buffalo that was bad. ONE. Menawhile the Sabres have been handed two goals (one added to Buffalo and one taken away from the Rangers) on replay reversals that are just awful calls. TWO GOALS. Awful.

And nobody said any Sabers fan has been whining. What I said was not to whine about calls in the future after the gifts Buffalo has been handed in these 3 games. Learn to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Game 2 - punching a guy in the face in the faceoff circle before the puck drops, too many men on ice uncalled, Afinoginov penalty pointed out by a Sharks fan who probably couldn't care any less about the series...
And you continue to harp on the Game 1 goal while acknowledging it had little or no impact on the outcome - that's such a lame "we were screwed but I'm not whining" cop-out routine.
I hate getting suckered into this discussion...I think any reasonable person can agree that the 2-1 series is exactly where it should be not withstanding the poor officiating.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the biggest problem that jumped out to me is that they categorically refuse to dump and chase on the power play. this is a complete mystery to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand that either, especially as much as the Rangers pressure the blue line. It's like Kelly insisting on throwing vs. a 2man front in a certain other Buffalo-NY game.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 PM

gooooo canucks.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no way that replay is enough to reverse the call on the ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I disagree with you, the replay officials disagree with you, and the NHL's head of officiating disagrees with you. Other than that, you're right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny ... EVERY report on this call has said it was a bad call ... from local homer broadcasters to ESPN Radio to ESPN TV. I haven't heard a single commentary that said it was the right call. NOT ONE. And of course, if you look at the replay with any sense of reason whatsoever, you cannot possibly conclude that there was enough there conclude that Rachunek directed the puck in with a clear kicking motion.

[/ QUOTE ]

the rule is bad, not the interpretation. i've seen this rule called this way several times during the regular season, and in past regular seasons as well. they have to re-word it. basically they've come to interpret it as 'if it's directed in with the skate with what seems to be intent, it's no goal'.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:15 PM

ugh i hate the delay of game penalty [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no way that replay is enough to reverse the call on the ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I disagree with you, the replay officials disagree with you, and the NHL's head of officiating disagrees with you. Other than that, you're right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny ... EVERY report on this call has said it was a bad call ... from local homer broadcasters to ESPN Radio to ESPN TV. I haven't heard a single commentary that said it was the right call. NOT ONE. And of course, if you look at the replay with any sense of reason whatsoever, you cannot possibly conclude that there was enough there conclude that Rachunek directed the puck in with a clear kicking motion.

[/ QUOTE ]

the rule is bad, not the interpretation. i've seen this rule called this way several times during the regular season, and in past regular seasons as well. they have to re-word it. basically they've come to interpret it as 'if it's directed in with the skate with what seems to be intent, it's no goal'.

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem with the call is more that they need irrefutable evidence supporting whatever the interpretation is in order to overturn the call on the ice, and they didn't have it here, nor did they have it in game one. There is no way, I think, to look at that reply and say *irrefutably* that Rachunek directed that puck in with intent. He certainly might have, but that's not the standard to overturn the call on the ice.

Funny thing I just saw -- the NHL rule book actually defines "distinct kicking motion" -- it says that a "distinct kicking motion" is "one which, with a pendulum motion, the player propels the puck with his skate into the net." Reading that definition, the replay ruling is absolutely laughable.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:17 AM

Wow, the Ducks won, but that was possibly the worst NHL game I have ever seen tonight. First off, 2 goals due to that lameass delay of game penalty. And then weakass calls all over the place. The Ducks had a couple penalties for checking, one for stick on stick contact, and another for only holding a stick with one hand. They got away with a couple, but I think that was because the refs got tired of watching that brutal Canucks power play. Watching nearly 20 minutes of that was putting me to sleep.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:26 AM

ugh, that nucks power play is atrocious. Not converting on 2, 5 on 3 power plays and going 1/8 will not win you many games.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ugh, that nucks power play is atrocious. Not converting on 2, 5 on 3 power plays and going 1/8 will not win you many games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are the Sharks.

I like the Delay of Game penalty. The game is much more fast paced when the puck isn't fired over the glass every 2 minutes. Puts a lot of pressure on the players.

That said, I wouldn't mind it if they made it like an icing call. Since half the time it's fired over the glass it's because the defenders are tired. I just don't like it when it's fired over under pressure, w/o a call weak players can control the play.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 AM

I saw that Rachunek replay once. Myself, my father-in-law & brother-in-law all agreed it was a no goal. So much so that we barely discussed it, and nobody likes ragging on refs more than they do.

That Shanahan call was right on the money too. He cross-checked a guy in the back when he was on the ice, in to the boards.