Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 10:58 PM

Default 16: JJ bet out or check/fold set value only?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t3380)
UTG+1 (t1575)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1425)
CO (t1720)
Button (t915)
Hero (t1430)
BB (t1555)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises to t90</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t90, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, Hero calls t75, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t300) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
Old 01-01-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Re: 16: JJ bet out or check/fold set value only?

I don't have a problem with check/fold here.

If he bets small a call is okay though.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:00 PM

c/f usually but JJ has overpair value.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:14 PM

I like to keep the pot small here. c/f to a large bet but call a small one.

Stu
Old 01-01-2007, 11:22 PM

From the stacks and blind levels it looks like he eliminated someone else early. Is he especially aggressive? Has MP1 called a few raises already? If both were true I might consider reraising preflop. Maybe 200-240 range, much more and it's harder to get away from it postflop. The blinds are still pretty small so I don't mind committing a few chips; being OOP after the flop makes the hand hard to play so I'd rather end it here. The problem with this arises, of course, when you're called and have to make a c-bet into a flop like this, which looks bad but may not have hit your opponent(s). I'd still make another bet against one opponent, especially UTG who has a big stack and may be seeing flops w/ less than good hands. Probably about 250, and fold to any pressure. If called in both spots I'd check the flop.

If both players seem tight or solid definitely just call, and in that case I like a check on the flop and see the action. If UTG makes a small bet and MP1 folds, I kind of like a raise as the last money I put in the pot. Say he bets 100 and MP1 folds, I might raise to 300. If he calls I'll check fold the turn. If he checks the turn and the river is a blank I might call a small river bet from him. *edit - this should probably be the default w/o reads.

If MP1 just calls a small bet from UTG, I might call just to see the turn, check and reevaluate. I'll probably fold to a big bet. If UTG bets and MP1 raises, its instafold.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:41 PM

This is why JJ is one of the harder hands to play in NL. I'm inclined to call PF and keep the pot small. However, this would depend on these two opponents. I would raise if I had a good read on my fold equity. Nothing wrong with taking this pot down preflop.

Depending on how these villains operate, I may make a probe bet or up to a 1/2 pot bet right out on the flop. I would expect most hands that are beating me to raise and thus I am done. If these guys can fold hands like AK or 77, then great. Worst thing would be a call(s) because that could mean a lot of things.

It would also depend on my table image. Sometimes I am the table captain and I would expect folds on any missed flops so I don't have a problem leading out here.

IMHO, I think check/fold here in general is too weak, unless both these guys are giving action in which case you do need to step aside. This also might be a good spot for a checkraise which while possibly not winning the pot, the chips you spend will give your next check a lot more respect.