Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: No parachute skydiving prop bet?

[ QUOTE ]
id probably pay money for this, but id feel sort of bad if you died..

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl I think everybody that was at that one fancy restaurant in vegas would agree with your first statement, disagree with your second
Old 10-21-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl I think everybody that was at that one fancy restaurant in vegas would agree with your first statement, disagree with your second

[/ QUOTE ]
lol awesome... as well as true, most likely [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
but i wouldnt be jumping, i have a friend who has jumped a few times and believes its possible. He said they would have to jump from 20k feet instead of 13.5k feet since in the case that he couldnt hold on, the diver w/ a chute would need to cut it away, catch up with the no chute diver, and deploy the backup chute... I know nothing of skydiving and there is a good chance he doesnt know wtf he is talking about, so correct any of the [censored] that he spit to me...

Regardless, could this even legally be done? cause if he had a chute, and could pull it but it would void the bet, its really not as cool cuz theres not as much fear/risk of dying...
Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 PM

Yes, there is good chance in fact about 100% chance he doesn't know WTF he is talking about.Will make for good entertainment though. Just make sure he pays up front.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha ya
Old 10-21-2007, 07:42 PM

everyone thinking about doing this is [censored] crazy
Old 10-21-2007, 08:18 PM

lol baby oil? how the hell are you meant to hold on to anything
Old 10-21-2007, 08:52 PM

For those who dont know Terminal Velocity is a relative term, not an absolute term. So if you have a higher wind resitance your TV is lower - it basically means you stop accellerating.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes the 15 seconds is so that you will have reached terminal velocity. With 2 people holding on to each other you will be falling between 180-200 mph. Yes there have been tons of Mr. Bill jumps made (i have done several myself) but they are done by deploying the parachute within a second of leaving the plane. Even then they can become very violent and have a low success rate. In all cases that I know of both people have a parachute except for one low base jump that was done with only one parachute. There have also a few people do chuteless jumps where they jump out with no rig and dock on another person. In all these cases that I know of they have all worn some kind of harness that they clip onto the parachute system that the person is holding for them. But the 2 have not been combined into 1 stunt. I was assuming that they were going to be holding on when they left the plane but if you are talking about the person withthe rig jumping out first and the chuteless one coming out after, well then this is even funnier now.

I think I changed my mind. I saw this done on Point Break so it can be done. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt TV around 160 mph, according to my housemate from last year who was an experience skydiver (i asked a few Qs when i met her like that)? The fact that two people are holding onto one another shouldnt increase TV, and if anything decrease it but im no expert and it sounds like you are.

Anyway, this wouldnt be easy, and if you were to do it without a chute just in case its pretty close to suicide and grossly retarded.

Vid of someone trying it:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lDb9RURGkYs
This was from freefall of like 2 seconds at most and they fail the first time and pull it off the second.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:45 PM

So in attempt #1 the guy died but somehow the footage was still salvaged? I don't buy it...
Old 10-21-2007, 11:08 PM

100k that jumper can do it...any takers?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So in attempt #1 the guy died but somehow the footage was still salvaged? I don't buy it...

[/ QUOTE ]

They had a chute on the guy holding on, obv.

[ QUOTE ]
Phil, air resistance is gonna be about the same, but the force of gravity is twice as strong with two people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not going to insult you Noah, if you were some random 5 post person i might. I also accept you might have been levelling. Its been a good few years since i studied physics for all of 1 year, ignore everything below if you dont care bout random crap.

Gravity is a constant force on the earth and an object accellerates according to the constant force of gravity pulling it down and the force of friction (air resistance) which works 'against' gravity lowering its effect. Mass, and therefor weight as weight is mass times the gravity, is irrelivent to acceleration and terminal velocity.

The reason it might be different with two people is because they are holding onto each other their air resitance might be increased.

So whilst they might have a lower terminal velocity relative to each individually they will never have a higher one - all things being equal.