Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Do I need to show my cards

I called a big bet on the river of a hand at the Beau Rivage in July and the guy I was heads-up with instantly mucked his hands. The dealer pushed me the pot and I pushed her the cards face-down.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:47 AM

It depends where you're at. The correct rule is that you shouldn't have to show, but may be forced to if someone asks (since it's a called hand at showdown). Usually no one asks.

However, at Borgata (maybe some other places, not sure), a winning hand must be shown at showdown in this situation. However, some dealers don't enforce this. I don't think they would take the pot away in this situation - however, I will always show my cards in this spot b/c I'm not taking my chances.

Jeff
Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At Borgata, you have to show your hand.

The winning hand must be shown at showdown to claim the pot, period. (there)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is quite true - while the winning hand must be shown, I have never seen not doing so cost someone the pot. After all, the bettor mucked and if his hand is not retrievable, who would they give the pot to if you pushed your cards in face down? That said, I'm not taking my chances and I turn my cards over in these spots. But I've never seen someone lose a pot over this.

I think the rule is bad because it's like - why not muck your hand heads up if you have no chance of winning since you are guaranteed to see what called you and can conceal information? I would rather go w/ the standard rule.

Jeff
Old 10-10-2007, 09:02 AM

I also seem to remeber a HSP episode where this happend and they made the player show the cards. DN said that the cards still needed to be shown.

The way I take this is I have called his hand so I have the right to see his cards. If he denys me this right then that should also deny him the right to see my cards.

Mark
Old 10-10-2007, 09:31 AM

as soon as his hand hits the muck it is dead. you don't need to show.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing magic about the muck, hands can be retrieved under certain circumstances.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends where you're at. The correct rule is that you shouldn't have to show, but may be forced to if someone asks (since it's a called hand at showdown). Usually no one asks.

However, at Borgata (maybe some other places, not sure), a winning hand must be shown at showdown in this situation. However, some dealers don't enforce this. I don't think they would take the pot away in this situation - however, I will always show my cards in this spot b/c I'm not taking my chances.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I've been fortunate that I haven't been in a game where its been an issue. The bluffers have wanted to see what called them, so they weren't conceding the pot without getting a hand shown.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At Borgata, you have to show your hand.

The winning hand must be shown at showdown to claim the pot, period. (there)

[/ QUOTE ]

Who gets the pot if he doesn't show his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess the pot would be chopped among those who made it to the Showdown.

How would you rule if two remaining players Check-Check on the River and then both muck at the same time? (please don't be difficult and say 'one had to muck last').
Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you rule if two remaining players Check-Check on the River and then both muck at the same time? (please don't be difficult and say 'one had to muck last').

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it would be a chop with both of them playing the board.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing magic about the muck, hands can be retrieved under certain circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope those circumstances don't include when you turn your cards over to claim the pot.

I would never turn my cards over. I push my two cards to the dealer with a chip/tip on them and hold them until the dealer starts to push me the pot. This guarantees that the dealer will collect the mucked cards and bury them.

If anybody complains about the winner having to show the hand, then I will let the dealer turn my cards over. This also guarantees that I win the hand. This is one of the few times I wouldn't complain about the IWTSTH rule.

In practice nobody has ever asked to see my cards. I play at Foxwoods FWIW.