Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 04:51 AM

Default Does anyone understand this play?

The tourney is a live multitable satellite where the top 10% of the field receives entries into an upcoming $10,000 event.

Very aggressive player gets moved to my table. He and I have butted heads in previous tournaments, and my image of him is that he's nothing more than a bully who overplays many hands to try to force his opponents to fold.... which is all the more reason why I find his play on this hand so odd. Could the good folks here try to help me understand my opponent's thought process in this situation?

Blinds are T300/T600 with antes of T75.

Average stack is about T14,000.

I have T26,000, and villain has T15,000.

I am in the cutoff. Folded to me, and I raise to T2,000 with Qd Td. Villain is in the large blind, and calls.

Flop is T 8 6 rainbow.

Villain leads out for T2,500. I think for about 20 seconds, and raise all-in. He insta-calls.

He turns over A 8 offsuit.

The reason I am so baffled is because if I simply raise, and he re-raises all-in, he probably can get me off the hand. However, I already am all-in.... so getting me to fold now is kinda difficult, right?

While it might sound like a dumb question, I seriously am trying to comprehend how someone can make this call for their tournament life.

Analysis is much appreciated.

TK
Old 03-19-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Does anyone understand this play?

Simplest answer is probably the correct one:-

no deep thinking here or reads. He has an M of around 10, picked up a hand worth playing, caught something on the flop, and you've bet pre flop representing a hand that probably is 2 overcards to this flop. Pushing all in here made it look like to him that you are trying to get him out of the pot and take the pot down with just that and you dont want a call. He thinks his hand is best and time to double up.

Edit:- He's probably also thinking if one of your overcards is an ace, you're drawing almost dead.

good play from you.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:19 AM

Villain was probably thinking you raised with 2 high cards and led out with the initial bet which wasn't bad. I don't understand instacalling your all in unless he thought there was some chance you were making a play. I think a better play would have been shoving pf, that's what I would do if I think you're stealing.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Simplest answer is probably the correct one:-

no deep thinking here or reads. He has an M of around 10, picked up a hand worth playing, caught something on the flop, and you've bet pre flop representing a hand that probably is 2 overcards to this flop. Pushing all in here made it look like to him that you are trying to get him out of the pot and take the pot down with just that and you dont want a call. He thinks his hand is best and time to double up.

Edit:- He's probably also thinking if one of your overcards is an ace, you're drawing almost dead.

good play from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what i think
he prob put you on AK AQ AJ KQ or something
at least not a Ten so he thinks your just trying to get him of the hand now so he calls
Old 03-19-2007, 06:32 AM

FWIW I also like pushing AA on the button if its folded to me at this stage in a tourney as well. If one of the blinds has a high card they usually call thinking you are trying to steal with air. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 AM

I like checkraising allin better for villain not knowing your hand. He may have been afraid you would check the flop and catch somwthing on the turn.

Preflop, I also like reraising allin a little better than flat calling, because A8o is a nasty hand to see a flop with.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:11 PM

Some people convince themselves that 10 outs is a sure thing. Possibly he thinks your raise was with 2 cards J+, you've missed the flop, and the all-in is an attempt to get him to fold. Regardless he's an idiot. Sorry he hit his ace.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:53 PM

It's not that hard to comprehend his flop play. Not going for a re-steal with A8 OOP, on the other hand, just totally blows.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:13 PM

His plan may have been to push any flop and you beat him to it….. Sounds like something a 2+2er would recommend. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]