Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Re: live 5/10 NL flopped set 1000 BBs deep

obv this is player dependent, but if the preflop raiser is decent i dont think you should be counting on him raising a donk bet and cold call all that often with an overpair.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:53 PM

Villain was gordon? Unfortunately, he can have anything -- from 88 through JJ for a weak overpair, to 44 or 77 for a pair and straight draw, to 56, to 47suited for the flopped straight and a back-door flush draw, or even to A6 suited for TPTK -- because that's the way he plays. Of course, you won't know which it is until you get your money in and watch him either fold or make you very uncomfortable with some other bizarre move.

Given how much each of you has behind, there certainly is enough in the pot now for you to make the monster reraise and try to take the money and run. With gordon at the other end of this hand, I see nothing wrong with putting him to the test.

TK
Old 09-26-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain was gordon? Unfortunately, he can have anything -- from 88 through JJ for a weak overpair, to 44 or 77 for a pair and straight draw, to 56, to 47suited for the flopped straight and a back-door flush draw, or even to A6 suited for TPTK -- because that's the way he plays. Of course, you won't know which it is until you get your money in and watch him either fold or make you very uncomfortable with some other bizarre move.

Given how much each of you has behind, there certainly is enough in the pot now for you to make the monster reraise and try to take the money and run. With gordon at the other end of this hand, I see nothing wrong with putting him to the test.

TK

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that he can have anything here is not unfortunate. I am way ahead of an "anything" range [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 09-26-2007, 07:00 PM

It worked out O.K. because a player behind you put in a raise allowing you to re-raise but I would have probably re-raised Villian to start with (he probably had A/6 and a back door flush draw, right?). Anyway, a lot of players don't think in terms of protection with their strong hands, but they should because it is the very strength of the hand itself that results in paying off an opponent even after you have fallen behind in the hand. When someone flops a strong hand like you did to a some what scary board they should ask themselves if they could imagine laying it down at any point. If the answer is "no" then protecting it is something that has to be considered, although more so in tournament poker than a ring game. Sometimes I think I could make a living just waiting to flop trips, especially online, because it seems so often that someone flops 2-pair to your trips or actually thinks their A/6, top pair, top kicker, is in the lead, forgetting that even pocket 7's represent an over pair. Good post! I enjoyed reading it!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:45 PM

This one is interesting.

I like the call on the flop as the pre-flop raiser (PFR) might reraise with an overpair and 'protect' your hand for you vs a draw. At the same time it enables you to get a read on the Villain after the PFR re-raises.

I think the way to go is to 3-bet but not so much! Raise enough that the PFR might call or consider a call with an overpair (perhaps to 1500). My reasons are are as follows:

- If it's called by PFR and the Villain has 33, he will really have to think twice about going all-in after a 3-bet, 3-way especially with two decent players in the hand. Even if PFR reluctantly folds the act of showing reluctance would make a set of 3's or straight draw hesitant to push after your 3-bet. If the Villain overbet pushes with his deep stack you can fold.

- If he's on a draw a smaller 3-bet re-raise might get you a free card if a straight card comes on the turn. Then you can check behind in position to draw to a fullhouse on the river. If you don't hit on the river you lose minimal to the suck out, or a higher set but at the same time you might extract value if he blocker bets a lower set.

- In the scenario the board pairs on turn/river, I might try value-bet to extract value from a straight or straight draw, but if he over-bets all-in you should fold, he'll have quads.

This way you 1.) create a better opportunity to read the Villain 2.) you can extract value using position vs weaker hands 3.) lose minimal if you're sucked out on and 4.) most importantly you won't lose your very deep stack when you're dead in the water.

I don't know the particular Villain but against most players I think this is a better way.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:02 PM

is there more mcstinky what happened. excelent betting by you though, nice thinking and action too
Old 09-27-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is there more mcstinky what happened. excelent betting by you though, nice thinking and action too

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain folded and said he had 46. Makes sense.