Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: 2550 vs Poopers

wow, this post makes absolute zero sense. don't think i've seen a more self-contradictory post in a long time.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you check this flop, is it safe to assume you're folding?

Are you betting this flop with 100% of your range?

I think a lot of people confuse getting put in a realllllly tough spot with being put in a really -ev spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I think I've changed my mind, c-c may better. Though if he fires flop and I call, I think I am calling blank turns a lot too.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:07 AM

Seems like the reason there is such a strong dispute about c-call versus b-fold among good players is that one of the theoretical flaws good NL players have is that they never check-call strong hands in spots like this.

So practically speaking the EV of a check-call depends on how your opponent will use the knowledge that you are weak, and how much you will allow for this possibility.

If you could have a big hand here some smallish but not insignificant % of the time, check-call becomes a much better play, probably the best play.

OTOH it could be that check-calling big hands is so problematic here that you should just bet more or less 100% of your range here.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you check this flop, is it safe to assume you're folding?

Are you betting this flop with 100% of your range?

I think a lot of people confuse getting put in a realllllly tough spot with being put in a really -ev spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. It could very well be that bet/folding the flop is slightly -EV with low variance, and doing something else is neutral EV with very high variance.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:51 AM

Checking this turn is about the worst play you can make. On the turn, you have the stone nuts on a draw-heavy board.... a hard bet here (if he does not fold) forces him to pay the price for drawing.

As played, he may well have just beaten you out of a large pot for free. I can think of no justification for allowing an opponent to escape the nuts because you decided get fancy by "slowplaying" while staring at a dangerous board.

TK
Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 PM

Since when was a straight the nuts on a 3 flush board? lol
Old 09-06-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking this turn is about the worst play you can make. On the turn, you have the stone nuts on a draw-heavy board.... a hard bet here (if he does not fold) forces him to pay the price for drawing.

As played, he may well have just beaten you out of a large pot for free. I can think of no justification for allowing an opponent to escape the nuts because you decided get fancy by "slowplaying" while staring at a dangerous board.

TK

[/ QUOTE ]

lol ""slowplaying""
Old 09-07-2007, 04:43 AM

Default OOPS!!!!!!!!

Sorry folks -- somehow, I missed the fact that 3 hearts were on the board at the turn.... clearly, this means the straight is nowhere near being the best hand, and of course makes the hero's decision more difficult.

As played to this point, I still believe checking the turn is not the best play because: 1. If he has a nut-straight with a heart or two-pair or a set, then a bet forces him to pay for drawing to something better than a chop, and; 2. If he has a non-nut flush already, then you are making him worry that he may be drawing dead to a nut-flush. Checking the turn in this hand accomplishes nothing other than giving your opponent a free chance to do no less than tie for the pot, and manages to tell you nothing of what he or she may be holding.

TK
Old 09-07-2007, 05:26 AM

Default Re: OOPS!!!!!!!!

what
Old 09-07-2007, 07:48 AM

Default Re: OOPS!!!!!!!!

thinkards, what do you think of the actual results?