Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 AM

Default How to stop Overplaying TPTK?

Is there any straight forward answer to this question?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Re: How to stop Overplaying TPTK?

Putting people on hands/draws and sticking to it when they hit is the short answer.

I'll try and get a longer answer organized and post it. This was one of my leaks a few weeks ago.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When the money is deep don't get all in with just top pair.

Checking behind on the turn (or sometimes the flop) is a good way to accomplish this when you are in position.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 PM

Pot control. You don't need to make pot sized bets all the time. You don't need to bet every street or raise all the time.

Save your big pots for your big hands. Protect two pair and trips and a set. Protect non-nut flushes and weaker straights. Play TPTK with finesse. If you are against TPWK, you are not going to get a whole lot from him so no need to hammer away. He will be happy calling a 1/2 pot bet once and checking the river and so should you.

Yes, you will lose to good draws once and awhile. But on the river, if you did your pot control job properly, then the bet you will be calling won't be a large one.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:20 PM

This confuses me too! And if you do put someone on a draw should you be putting in pot size bets to deny them odds or exercise pot control as TP really isn't a big enough hand to justify a big pot?

I had this problem just last week, when I was OOP against two callers. The player to my left was loopy loose (I wanted to play with him) but by calling anything and everything he gave the player on the button decent drawing odds for a flush - which came in on the river.

Since then I have decided that whenever I'm OOP against two or more limpers I'll call in the name of pot control, rather than raise - but I really have no idea if that's a dumb idea or not! Any advice most gratefully received.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 PM

Thanks Pants - you answered my question even before I'd finished typing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 PM

Giving a free card to a draw isn't that bad because if the draw hits and villian bets a lot you can fold (sometimes youw will be bluffed off the best hand however) and when villian misses he will often bluff and you pick up an extra bet.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Every time you get it fold.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:33 PM

The book Professional No Limit Hold Em mainstreams a concept called PSR or Pot to Stack Ratio. This concept really helped me understand, against unknowns, when I can go with a Top pair hand and when to slow down.

PSR is used to indicate how much is in the pot compared to how much is left in your stack (or the smallest stack in the pot).

Example, if the pot is $9 and you have a $90 stack, your PSR is 10. (90 / 9 = 10). Top pair type hands tend to do well with LOW PSRs and play badly with HIGH PSRs (when you are deep as others have stated). If your PSR is in the 4-7 range, you may want to play it fast, otherwise practice pot control.

I understand this is a little beyond beginner and others has basically stated the same thing...but PSR really helped me with TPTK type hands.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 PM

PSR is a great way to understand TPTK