Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Extreme agression

I'm new to poker, but not to statistics, so I wonder whether choosing not to rebuy "for a 3rd time because he was running so hot" could also be described a kind of tilt?

The laws of probability are immutable; given odds in your favour of (say) 4 to 1 there will still be times that you will lose two (1 in 16), three (1 in 64) or even four times (1 in 256) in a row. But when that fifth chance comes around, regardless of whether you have just won four times in a row or lost four times in a row, the chances are still 4 to 1 in your favour.

OK, I may not want to take even the 20% chance of getting sucked out one more time by a moron, 'cause that'll just tilt me some more, but giving villain credit for powers to change the laws of probability is as mad as calling a big raise with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] because you just *know* you'll make your flush by the river.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:59 PM

Honestly, my advice to you would be to just find a new table. Even though he is TOO aggressive and will likely leak a lot of money over time by playing this style, aggression is tough to play against, whether it is the right amount or too much. There is a reason why all winning players advocate aggressive play - because it forces opponents into making tough decisions. While maniacal play can definitely be countered, it is much easier to play against passive players. So if you have the option, just change tables. I am assuming this is at the lower limits where you have a choice of many tables.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I may not want to take even the 20% chance of getting sucked out one more time by a moron

[/ QUOTE ]

80-20 favorite?

;x I'll take those odds then if you won't.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:35 PM

My solution to Taz...

Situation 1:
Taz sits down and proceeds to suck out on you in three of the first five hands, hitting miracle draws on the turn/river despite your clearly having bet enough to get him to fold his weak-assed hand.

Solution:
Reload and tighten up just a little. As long as this Taz doesn't leave the table, you WILL get your money back. Either directly from him or vicariously through someone else he doubles up. And add Taz to your friends list. You want to be able to find him again later and take what's left of his money. This is the fun Taz because they like to build their stack to four and five times the buy-in, then lose it all back.

Situation 2:
Taz plays every hand and catches card after card, while you get 1 hand/hour to play and miss that flop completely. (This is often the most frustrating of the bunch for me, but there's little you can do beyond hoping your cards turn around before he leaves.)

Solution:
Add Taz to your friends list and change tables. If you're running bad while someone else is getting everything, changing tables will sometimes change your luck. And by adding him to your FL, you can find him later when you're running better and he's not.

If Taz puts you on tilt, follow the advice for Situation 2. If it's that bad, quit playing for a while. Even the best players go on tilt every now and again, and taking a break is sometimes the best thing you can do. Continuing to play, or worse, moving UP in limits, will usually just end up costing you more money.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:57 PM

Grumpy:

Why are you rebuying?

a) You feel frustrated and vengeful and are waiting for the right hand.
b) You are on edge because you're in the red, and want to get back to $0 before you stop playing.
c) You are on your game and waiting so you can spring your trap.

a = tilt. b = tilt. c = correct.

The moment you start to LOVE donks (instead of hating them) is a monumental moment. Haven't you heard that famous quote... "There's gold in them there donks"... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]