Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 AM

Default The start of a hand?

I had been under the impression that once the dealer starts to shuffle, the hand has started. In another post, a poster said I was in error.

1) Is he right?
2) If that is the case, then if a player asks for a deck change during a shuffle, there is no reason for the dealer not to do so immediately. Bummer.

I am asking about cash games not tourney rules.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Re: The start of a hand?

[ QUOTE ]
I had been under the impression that once the dealer starts to shuffle, the hand has started. In another post, a poster said I was in error.

1) Is he right?
2) If that is the case, then if a player asks for a deck change during a shuffle, there is no reason for the dealer not to do so immediately. Bummer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hopefully no dealer on the planet will accede to a request to change the deck and hold up the game once they've started shuffling. That's just common sense. Hopefully the dealer will not hold up the game while waiting for a new deck to arrive after a player asks for a deck change at any time. You say you want a new setup, fine, if the house allows it the dealer can call for it and by golly they should keep right on mixing and shuffling and dealing--don't hold the game up waiting for a setup. I don't think you need a definition of when a hand begins to deal with this, it's just setting policies on when setups can be requested and how the dealers do it.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:15 AM

Has anybody ever seen even a halfway decent player ask for a setup? Assuming no physical issues with the cards of course. I have not.

Some time back I told a friend that if he ever sees me ask for a setup to put me out of my misery on the spot and take my roll.

BO
Old 11-25-2007, 02:15 AM

I was thinking mostly for home games. I thought I had read this somehwere - wonder why I was under this impression?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:18 AM

Home games happens alot. And yes, usually the less than halfway decent players ask.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:18 AM

Just what do you mean by "the hand has started"?

Can you buy chips after "the hand has started"? If you ask that question, most people would not consider the beginning of the shuffle to be when the "hand has started".
Old 11-25-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just what do you mean by "the hand has started"?

Can you buy chips after "the hand has started"? If you ask that question, most people would not consider the beginning of the shuffle to be when the "hand has started".

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. I just thought I read it somehwere. Mostly. I have been invoking it in our homes games for my example.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can you buy chips after "the hand has started"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yes you can. In most rooms, you can buy chips up until the first card is dealt off the deck and be "playing behind" until those chips arrive. Once that card leaves the deck, you have to wait till the next hand for any chip purchases/cash on the table to be in play.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:57 AM

You may buy chips and play behind before the cards are in the air, meaning before the first card is dealt as noted. \

As far as the "beginning of the hand" from a players standpoint I believe it is when the first card is in the air. From the dealers standpoint as far as procedure is concerned the first riffle of the deck constitutes the beginning of the shuffle and official start of the hand.

It is this period between the first riffle and first card in the air that is the grey area, but straddling, posting, moving seats and playing behind is allowed during this area.

But you should never see a dealer change the shuffling procedure after the first riffle. This is primarily a concern in tournaments. If the dealer has riffled once before the tournament director announces a changing of a level, the hand shall be played on the previous level and change the next hand. This is atleast the policy where I deal, cash games of course allow for the grey area to come into play.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Can you buy chips after "the hand has started"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yes you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. How do you define when "the hand has started"?