Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 01:56 AM

Default NL 10: Call Stations, What To Do?

I play NL10 at FullTilt and I'm am on a large downswing. I can't put my finger on what it is. An issue I'm having right now is that I seem to get called by nearly everyone. I make all my raises at least 5X the BB. Ex....

Full Tilt Poker, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

MP: $18.90
CO: $2.35
BTN: $4.30
SB: $6.05
BB: $6.75
Hero (UTG): $8.85

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.50</font>, MP calls $0.50, CO folds, BTN calls $0.50, SB folds, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($2.05) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $2</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $3.80 and is All-In</font>, 2 folds, MP calls $1.80

This seems to be happening constantly. What do I do here? Just keep doing what I'm doing. I have tried different experiments such as keeping pots small pre-flop and trying to beat them post-flop but all strategy would tell me this is not good poker.

Another issue is constant check-raising. It seems that NL10 players are ADDICTED to check-raising EVERY chance they get. (Aside from the river as no NL10 players use the river check-raise) All strategy posts on 2+2 would tell you to hammer down C-betting and put them to decisions but it seems none of them ever believe me.

Does anyone else have these same problems at NL10?

If anyone has any tips they find useful for this low of a level they would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:04 AM

Default Re: NL 10: Call Stations, What To Do?

I find that the biggest mistake good players make at 10 NL is FPS (fancy play syndrome). This includes weird strategies people have adopted preflop (like not raising, raising too much, etc.), trying to get people to fold marginal hands, bluffing, triple barreling a calling station, etc.

With that in mind, play your good hands for value. Value bet when you have the best hand, shut down when you get called/miss the flop/get check raised. Don't make fancy plays in an attempt to "make" your opponents fold. Remember, you can't bluff calling stations. One of the most useful plays at 10NL i utilize is the bet, then a turn c/r.
If I have AK, and the flop comes something like AA4 rainbow, I'll continuation bet. If I get called by a hand that I suspect is a mid pocket pair, I'll very often check the turn. This hand will now think it's best, and make a pot size raise, which I can then raise the s**t out of.

I find that flop c/r are very often draws. I find that flat calling these draws, then betting strong on a blank turn will often cause them to fold. However, slowplaying is the new black at these lower limits, and sets are the prime examples. I once saw someone slowplay 88 on a 8 9 10 board, then push all in when the turn was a Q and someone with J10 gladly stacked them.

These are just my 2 cents from my experience at 10NL.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:09 AM

thanks.. I try to play straightforward and not catch a case of FPS, I was just wondering if there are a few modifications for the lower stakes..

it just seems I get called by so many bad hands and I go on rather large swings (sometime 7-10 buyins up and down). Does that just come with the territory of playing such low stakes with so many limpers??
Old 11-14-2007, 02:11 AM

c/f is fine on that flop in a 4 way pot. Why don't you make a video or something so people can help you with leaks in your game
Old 11-14-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks.. I try to play straightforward and not catch a case of FPS, I was just wondering if there are a few modifications for the lower stakes..

it just seems I get called by so many bad hands and I go on rather large swings (sometime 7-10 buyins up and down). Does that just come with the territory of playing such low stakes with so many limpers??

[/ QUOTE ]

Large swings are common no matter what stakes you play at.
I've played 10NL online for a while. After a while, it becomes almost a grind. I don't make big plays, big bluffs, I just play ABC poker. It's not necessarily good poker, but it's what's the most successful at the limits we play at. Once I move to 10/25 (hopefully in a few weeks), then I'll start opening up my game, but at 10NL, YOU DON'T HAVE TO, people will pay you off no matter what. They don't pay attention to the fact you haven't raised in 10 hands. Many don't notice position. They can't/don't calculate odds, and always think you're bluffing. That being said, the biggest piece of advice I could give you is to play complete straightforward poker. Never raise-bluff someone unless they've shown you multiple times they have the skills to lay down a good hand to strength.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:27 AM

to bsball: I plan to move to NL25 right after I get my bankroll to 500, I was at 400 but now down to 320. After rakeback and such I should be at 500 hopefully soon. I feel that I will do better at that level and I think the more favorable rake schedule will GREATLY improve our winrates (assuming you play on FullTilt as well)

to apple: my god I would love to make a video. Is there anyway you could give me a quick guide on how to make one (equipment, software, and such)
Old 11-14-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to bsball: I plan to move to NL25 right after I get my bankroll to 500, I was at 400 but now down to 320. After rakeback and such I should be at 500 hopefully soon. I feel that I will do better at that level and I think the more favorable rake schedule will GREATLY improve our winrates (assuming you play on FullTilt as well)

to apple: my god I would love to make a video. Is there anyway you could give me a quick guide on how to make one (equipment, software, and such)

[/ QUOTE ]

this link has all the instructions to making a video

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&amp;vc=1
Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 AM

I have a lot of the same problems as OP. Seem to run into tonnes of aggro. I changed my game a bit to play tighter, but no one notices, and you still get the same plays made at you postflop, where everyone raises you, no one folds to continuation bets etc...
Continuation bets seem to be a big spew in my game at the moment. You raise 4xbb get 1 caller, the bb, so going to flop the pot is 8.5xbb, then you raise 6xbb when it's checked to you, so you are risking 10xbb of your money, to win 4.5xbb. I know you do this, so people can't tell if you are strong or weak, but no one pays attention to that. And people are not folding the right percentage of the time for this play to be profitable for me anymore.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:48 AM

These guys can't read your range, they can barely read the board. Play straightforward and get paid by valuebetting.

You will hit the flop occasionally, so you aren't always putting 10BBs at risk with air to win 4.5bbs, you're putting it up to win 50-100BBs as a favorite.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 AM

10NL full tilt = 10% rake, isn't it?

Move up!