Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Netflix/Blockbuster Online: Movies that you should add to your queue.

Just just got a clue and signed up for netflix.

Rules:

1. Must post a pic from film if possible.

2. Must include a memorable quote from film.

3. Must not list obvious choices everyone has seen(X-Men-Godfather-etc) or films directed by Eli Roth or Michael Bay.

You may include films that may have been seen once but should be watched again.

Posters are free to, and encouraged, to comment on films listed--but all spoilers should be in WHITE TEXT.

THE SALTON SEA

"So that's where I found myself. No, I should choose my words more wisely. This is the world I sought out. The land of the perpetual night party. Day swallowing night and night swallowing day. The crank compressing time like some defying piston on its awesome downstroke. We've been at this for three days... or is it four? Tweakers, lokers, slammers, coming and going, swearing eternal allegiance and undying love for one another, only to wake up after the binge and realize you wouldn't walk across the stree to piss on one of them if their head was on fire. Three days. Or is it four? I know what you're thinking, but don't give up on me just yet. Just wait 'til I've told my whole story. And keep your eyes open. Nothing is as it seems."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-03-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Netflix/Blockbuster Online: Movies that you should add to your que

CDS,

Great first pick, definitely gets my recommendation too. I really like that movie a lot. I'll think up a few for the thread.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:40 PM

<font color="blue">GERRY </font>

Dude, that's not the spot. The spot is like a half of a mile that way. I was at the spot. I was waiting for you forever. I was yelling your name. And I just came walking up here, and I saw this rock. I crow's-nested up here to scout-about the ravine 'cause I thought maybe you gerried the rendezvous. Sure enough, that's not the spot.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:44 PM

THE THREE BURIALS OF MELQUIADES ESTRADA

"Promise me one thing, Pete. If I die over here, carry me back to my family and bury me in my home town. I don't want to be buried on this side among all the [censored] billboards."
Old 05-03-2007, 07:07 PM

CDS: post genres that interest you, I dont know what to recommend.

Along Came Polly:

Reuben Feffer: No Lisa, I'm not going to take you back
Lisa Kramer: [stunned] What, why?
Reuben Feffer: Well, you screwed a SCUBA instructor on our honeymoon. What kinda coldheated bitch will do that to someone they love. I have to be an idiot to take you back.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS: post genres that interest you, I dont know what to recommend.

Along Came Polly:

Reuben Feffer: No Lisa, I'm not going to take you back
Lisa Kramer: [stunned] What, why?
Reuben Feffer: Well, you screwed a SCUBA instructor on our honeymoon. What kinda coldheated bitch will do that to someone they love. I have to be an idiot to take you back.

[/ QUOTE ]

JV..this isn't just for me. It is essentially cool/good movies, that most people missed, that one should def rent. The Netflix/BB online part is because a lot of the movies that people will comment on or recommend will not be available in your average dvd store.

And I liked Along Came Polly...but I think most people have seen that movie.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:51 PM

Arright, I will save face w/ two other recomendatdions then:

Sonatine (Japanese):

Maeda: Fancy something to drink?
Bald Yakuza: No. My stomach still hurts from when you stabbed me.

Don't be afraid to watch foreign films, as an avid movie watcher, it has really opened up the selection of movies to me. This is an obscure/original guy flick about a bunch of gangsters who don't really value life. I think Quintent Taranino helped produce or something, no sure.

Two Days In The Valley:

Detective Creighton: I know we're Valley detectives so we're not all that bright, but how stupid does he think we are?

This Movie is very overlooked. It is one of those Crash(2005) type of movies: a bunch of stories intertwine. This is kind of a cult movie. Though not a classic, it is definitely worth a watch. Has Jeff Bridges, and Charlize Theron (if I remember correctly)
Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sonatine (Japanese):
Maeda: Fancy something to drink?
Bald Yakuza: No. My stomach still hurts from when you stabbed me.

Don't be afraid to watch foreign films, as an avid movie watcher, it has really opened up the selection of movies to me. This is an obscure/original guy flick about a bunch of gangsters who don't really value life. I think Quintent Taranino helped produce or something, no sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sonatine is awesome -- in fact yesterday I posted it in an OOT thread about underrated films. Tarantino had nothing to do with its production (it was made in 1993), but his company Rolling Thunder helped re-distribute it and some other Kitano films to broader U.S. markets.

Fireworks and Boiling Point are also worth watching. Unfortunately, Kitano started to suck bad around Kikujiro. He got real soft.

Also, Two Days in the Valley is a total piece of crap. When was the last time you watched it? It does not hold up. At all.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 PM

I was not a big fan of the movie. However I was surprised by it; It seemed under appreciated. I saw it about 3 years ago, so I maybe I am forgetting if it sucked, or was awesome. Sonatine I saw a few months ago, and so I am much more fresh when it comes to assessing it.

I like the scene @ the house w/ the dog in Two Days in the Valley, it has kind of a Mullholand Drive/ Sexy Beast type of atmosphere. Essentially I agree w/ you, however I think the average film watcher will like 2 days more than Sonatine.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Netflix/Blockbuster Online: Movies that you should add to your queue.

"Roman Holidy"

Princess Ann: I hate this nightgown. I hate all my nightgowns, and I hate all my underwear too.
Countess: My dear, you have lovely things.
Princess Ann: But I'm not two hundred years old. Why can't I sleep in pajamas?
Countess: Pajamas?
Princess Ann: Just the top part. Did you know that there are people who sleep with absolutely nothing on at all?
Countess: I rejoice to say I do not.