Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 05:49 AM

Default the limp reraise

i am sexy, so occasionally i do some things that are sexy. there were some spazztards in this game, so i thought i'd teach them a lesson. SB is not a spazz from what i have seen. he is 22/6 in 50 hands.

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (15SB, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (14.5BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (20.5BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

what don't you like?
Old 06-20-2006, 05:56 AM

Default Re: the limp reraise

I'd have a hard time laying this hand on river, to one bet in a huge pot. How aggressive is SB postflop? Does the river change anything? What are you putting him on, here?

Not sure I like preflop. If you had raised - had they all coldcalled? Limp-reraise traps so many players preflop, and I don't like to play KK oop in a multiway pot.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have a hard time laying this hand on river, to one bet in a huge pot. How aggressive is SB postflop? Does the river change anything? What are you putting him on, here?

Not sure I like preflop. If you had raised - had they all coldcalled? Limp-reraise traps so many players preflop, and I don't like to play KK oop in a multiway pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

i will play KK for lots of bets with lots of players in any seat you like.

edit: and "no", the river didn't change anything, which means my hand didn't improve and i am cooked.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there are lots of reasons not to limp rr. this is not one of them.

peace

john nickle
Old 06-20-2006, 06:36 AM

I probably take SB seriously when he leads the turn and start just calling there. The flop check/3-bet is already scary, and he led the turn despite your invitation (with your cap) to check-call instead.

So unless he's got specifically 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or is just getting into the spirit of the table, it's looking like a set. (Two pair isn't so likely on this board, although he may like playing 96s in particular or something.)

I suppose a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is possible, and, yeah, raising would be great if you happen to be ahead (especially with Button still in the hand) of, say, SB's TT. But it looks like you're probably not ahead.

I don't know. It seems like SB should be taking your limp-reraise pretty seriously by now. So I'd be thinking Button is not such a big concern anymore, because I'm too worried about SB, and I'd be looking to get to showdown.

Also, paying 3 bets on the big streets only to end up folding on the river in a huge pot is not something I like to do if I can help it. It's hard to know you're toast with an overpair with over 95 percent certainty against just one player at a Party 6-max table, particularly when the table has been getting wild.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:33 AM

I would call down from the turn lead as well. You showed ridiculous strength PF and on the flop. There's something to be said for protecting your hand against button in a pot that huge, but not if it means folding to further aggression UI, IMO. Not that the river fold is terrible, but I like taking the showdown route here.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:14 AM

You're getting 21.5:1 on the river so I don't see folding as an option as you only need to be good around 5% of the time. He'll have something stupid that you're beating 5%.

As far as the limp re-raise is concerned from everything I've read this is a full-ring strategy that isn't really applicable in 6 max, at least with a hand like kings in this situation. I just don't see the advantage of making this play over an open raise.

Also, I don't see the value in raising again on the turn after a solid player leads into your cap and you LRR pf (which screams to everyone OP given this board texture). You can't really get away from the hand given the pot size and he's taking you to 3town w/ 2p or better too often.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:17 AM

I don't like the turn raise, looks like you are screwed. I'd just call down.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? I think that is precisely the reason not to LRR. I hate LRR for exactl that.

And I don't fold this getting 20:1 on the river. Pot is just too big. Is he betting a worse hand 1 time in 20?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? I think that is precisely the reason not to LRR. I hate LRR for exactl that.

And I don't fold this getting 20:1 on the river. Pot is just too big. Is he betting a worse hand 1 time in 20?

[/ QUOTE ]

KK still has a big enough equity advantage vs 3-4 players that putting in as many bets as you can OOP pf is still the right play. That's why it's not a reason to not LRR.