Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Home Game - Argument gets started

So on a beautiful morning I decide to organise a home game with some of my closest friends. We set it up , some of us have been playing poker for some time now. There are 3 or 4 that have never played before. So we send them all the info a week before the game. We explain in detail. We play for an hour for no cash whatsoever.

One of my best friends brings along his wife. She has never played but the fact that there's money involved that she can get for free from other people , she starts liking the game.

After a couple of hours of play , me and the guys wife are the only ones left - having cleaned up the rest. She goes all-in , I call. I win everything.

Couple of days later the guy starts bugging me saying that upon review of the board and her and my hand , they are sure that it was a tie and not a win. According to me I clearly won with an ace high straight , while she had a king high straight.

He keeps on contesting and now asked me to pay her buyin for the next homegame ("because that would be only fair")

What the hell should I do .. it's a small price to pay to make this crap stop , but on the other hand I am pissed that this kind of thing even happens. Why can't she just realise she lost the game?

So my question is : is there a sort of poker etiquette that eventual hands can't be contested anymore after they have been played out ?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Home Game - Argument gets started

I'd never play again with anyone who would bug me like this.

Review of the board ? Is this a joke ? They'd better have looked closely at the board during the game.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:37 AM

Unless you had table cams on your game, that's it. You won the hand, the hand is over, the game's over. They need to get over it.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 AM

I tried telling him , that for example in a tennis match , when a ball is out , you don't get to question the call 3 days later to say the ball really was in.

Let us say that I have now seen a friend in a whole new different light.
It's a shame.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:13 AM

tell him you give his wife money all the time
Old 10-05-2007, 09:18 AM

Do you remember what the board was? Do you remember what your cards were? Do you remember what her cards were?
Do you honestly think you won? It was down to heads-up with you and a newbie; were you the only two paying attention? Did others witness the hand?

This is a home game. Yes, there are rules that as soon as the pot is awarded the hand is dead, but these hard-lines get blurred in home games quite often. If you didn't honestly win the hand, just man up and pay the buy-in next time. The fact that you are even asking this question leads me to believe that you might know the hand was mis-read.

If you truly can't remember the hand (I'd find that hard to believe). If there were other witnesses, what do they remember? Since this is a group of close friends you should be able to easily find out what the others think of the hand at the next game.

What are the stakes we are talking here? How big do you play with close friends that have never played before?

The more I read of your post, the more questions I have. It seems to have a lot holes (maybe just your writing style) but without these answers, I'm getting the feeling that the things you aren't telling us are going to reveal the truth here.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:28 AM

yeah i remember the board i had AKs and she pushed with KQo

board read TJQ9A giving me an ACE high straight and her only a KING high straight.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i remember the board i had AKs and she pushed with KQo

board read TJQ9A giving me an ACE high straight and her only a KING high straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this a joke? Or is DJCoax your gimmick account for this question?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:36 AM

As far as I remember ..

On the board , there was a 9,10,Q,K and an A. Never mind the suits , there was no possibility for the flush.
So there IS a straight on the board.

I have A J
I think she had K K

I distinctly remember there being 3Ks at the end

She is not so sure of her hand anymore and the recent version is she thinks she had K J

Stakes are not that high. We're talking bout a 10$ buy-in so I would just pay up to get the nagging to stop.

This post was made because I wondered if there was some kind of unwritten code between poker players regarding to this type of argument.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

tell him you give his wife money all the time

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't touch her with a stick even when they gave ME money !