Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: L/C Help me. Lack of an afterlife leads me do depression.

[ QUOTE ]
If I put a gun to your head and started counting down from 5, you would probably not feel great. It is the fear of my feelings at the end as much, if not more, that anything else. If I am not lucky enough to be taken out by a sniper with an instant kill, or die in my sleep, there is a very good chance I will know what is happening. I cannot put into words how badly thinking about that makes me feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, that makes much more sense than my first reading of the OP. But you might want to look up on the physiology of death, because I think natural death is preceded by heavy endorphin release, meaning peace/euphoria/etc.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I put a gun to your head and started counting down from 5, you would probably not feel great. It is the fear of my feelings at the end as much, if not more, that anything else. If I am not lucky enough to be taken out by a sniper with an instant kill, or die in my sleep, there is a very good chance I will know what is happening. I cannot put into words how badly thinking about that makes me feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, that makes much more sense than my first reading of the OP. But you might want to look up on the physiology of death, because I think natural death is preceded by heavy endorphin release, meaning peace/euphoria/etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the human body amazing! How would this evolve? There doesn't seem any evolutionary gain in easing natural death.

Also, thankyou, I'll look into it, it's a help if true.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:20 PM

I think he's referring to Near Death Experiences, is he not?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I seriously want to see my doctor, but I don't even know his/her name. Serious question, how do you start that conversation? How do you even book an appointment, what do you say to the receptionist? I know I shouldn't be concerned with this, but I guess I have a bigger ego than I thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Appointment booking: I need an hour with the doctor.
The receptionist: I'm here for my appointment.
To the doctor: I think I might have death anxiety.

Always glad to help. Don't fear doctors. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never understood this idea. i mean, talk about narcissism. in your defense, i've heard the same thing from many people, but...

you just got done talking about how meaningless your life is relative to infinity. well, then certainly "how you feel" over one 10 second interval in history is pretty unimportant.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I often think of everything in relation to the sizes of the infinitness of space and time. This is a big part (if not sole part) of the problem. I have said before that I geniunely believe I would be a happier person if I had 100% faith in god/jesus/heaven etc. but I am not afforded that choice due to the way my brain works.

Would I take it now, given everything I know/feel? Would I take the blue pill? (Was it the blue pill in the matrix? I can't remember) Quite likely I would.

[/ QUOTE ]

No harm in that, really. But reality is not Hollywood and there's no magic pill. Just live it, man. Like I said, you'll be fine. This does happen. I wouldn't take the pill, though, because I treasure complex awareness and the range it offers, and I got through the same situation you're experiencing. While painful, it was worthwhile in my case.

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting side question - When my daughter asks me where her dead pet / distant relative went, what do I tell her? I was told heaven as a small child, and never really thought about it - is this the same as Santa Claus?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no and this is a very individual issue. I'd tell her something consistent with how you would raise her, as one of the responsibilities of a parent is to instill morals and a belief system.

If you and your wife aren't Christians, simply tell her the truth, that it's something even adults don't know either. And that's basically true because we don't, and she'll have one less white lie to mull over when she becomes a teenager and tackles those issues for herself. People rarely, even as parents, give their children enough credit for understanding basic concepts.

If she persists with the issue, it means it's something she really wants to know about, so set aside the valuable time to explain the concepts as best you know how. The earlier she understands that, the better off she'll be in facing such issues with consistency.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:06 PM

Hitch,

This isn't a solution, rather just a point to correct ( I think)your position. You don't fear death, you fear the end of life.

And ironically, you are on a path to make life shorter instead of longer.

RJT

p.s. depression sucks