Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 04:53 PM

Default NL50 AK UTG

I've just started playing NL50 and this hand got me in a pickle. It's only villains 2nd hand at the table so no reads.

Preflop: As I'm in position here I think I missed a chance to re-re-raise with the idea of folding to a push but I hate playing AK in a huge pot.

Flop: Obviously I'm not folding this so is this where I should reraise to about $16? I hate calling here as he'll likely bet the turn and then I don't know if he's firing the second barrel or has made a set. Plus if he's a fool whos come in with JQ or two diamonds there's some scare cards waiting for me.

Should I try to get the pot here and then release it if he continues at it.

These hands are really causing me problems at the moment.

Cheers

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($86.40)
BB ($49.50)
Hero ($51.65)
MP ($50)
CO ($58.30)
Button ($49.75)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $5</font>, Hero calls $2.50.

Flop: ($9.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $4</font>, Hero ??????
Old 05-06-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: NL50 AK UTG

Re raise the flop to $12-$14. You've hit your hand.

If he was on QQ/JJ/KK it looks like he's testing the board. If he pushes your re-raise then you can fold.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:57 PM

I honestly just call these most of the time because raising makes it impossible for AQ to continue but you'll get another bet out of it if you just call.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:59 PM

The board is fairly drawy, I would want to shut the pot down on the flop.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:04 PM

It's not drawy against the kind of hands that raise from the BB. Villain can't have the AKdd, and very unlikely to have any sort of suited connector.

Raising it will only get worse hands to fold. Call and hope they keep going or think you're on a draw. Your villain likely has 2-3 outs (or you're dead meat anyway and raising won't change that.)
Old 05-06-2007, 05:30 PM

How long do we call for if we decide to just call presuming there are 2 raggy cards neith diamonds? Turn and river? because by then we will no doubt be all in.

Surely we have to take the lead somewhere so we know if we're beat.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:35 PM

Personally I think its fine, to call a reraise PF with AK, as played Hero raises to $12-15
Old 05-06-2007, 05:43 PM

Given the preflop action, it'd have to agree with Gullanian that villains range is AA-JJ and one more diamond would not make a flush for villain. Id also agree that it looks like villain is testing the waters with that bet. You have two options:
1. Raise - To take the pot down now (fold to a push)
2. Call - Make it look like you have a draw and possibly induce another bet on the turn from the lesser hands stated above.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:43 PM

We're committed to this hand. We called pf in position and hit one of the very best flops for our hand. Only one hand in his range beats us -- and I don't mean one kind of hand, but one hand period. There's only one AA left in the deck. Just add AK into their range and even a push is a call. You raised from UTG, not button, so I don't think JT and other random crap is in there. AQdd is the mildest niggling worry and maybe reason enough to rr flop, but I don't think I'm folding to a push here. 88-99, I just don't see enough to even consider -- more power to 'em if that's what they have.

Raising flop isn't bad, but you've even got a mild redraw for diamonds if something comes out.

Okay -- sometimes not raising flop is going to cost you some money. But there's a bit more to be made more often playing some post flop poker. Raise or bet the turn depending on what villain does.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:59 PM

I like calling here against most villans. He is very unlikely to have a flush draw. I think this is a WA/WB situation.