Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Christianity, the cancer within the US culture.

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty ignorant of you to say that Christianity is the cancer. I don't know that many Christians, but the ones I do know all think Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are/were complete assbags and an embarrassment.

The problem is that real Christians are too nice and don't like to say bad things about people. So the fundamentalist freaks are only criticised by athiests, which just gives them more motivation to spread their nonsense and play the oppressed victim card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take a step back and say that organized religion is the cancer. Specificlly, fundamentalism/evangelicalism. Whether it be Christians, Jews, or Muslims. It's not good enough to simply say that those fringe fanatics don't make up the majority. The simple truth is that they make the most noise thus do the most damage to your religion's image.

I constantly hear cries from the media and governments to not condemn all Islam for the actions of the few who carry out barbarous acts in the name of Allah. To a great extent that doesn't fly with me. Until mainstream Muslims worldwide, and their Imans make it a priority to publicly condemn the violent extremists just as loudly as they condemn The US's role in disturbing them, they DO have to accept some part of the responsibility for the actions of the extremists.

The same goes for evangelical/fundamentalist/extremist Christians. Until the large core of moderate Christians loudly and publicly condemns these fringe members they must shoulder some responsibility for their actions and words.

If you let someone hijack your religion without resistance, why should you be surprised when others paint you with the same brush as the unchecked extremists who claim to represent you? (And, yes! This applies to governments, including the US, as well)

In the words of Sir Thomas More, "Silence equals assent."
Old 11-09-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rich Christians who want power and the means to change things are the problem, not the religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Change Christians/religion in the above to Democrats/party and assess the sentence.

Thought so.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Evil America...Tell it to the 1,000,000,000 people that would move here TOMORROW if we facilitated it. FYI - you're not welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, I have NO reason to say you would NOT to be welcomed here, that I know of, although I suspect the majority of us would not look too kindly on your trying to enforce some restriction on freedom of speech!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:35 AM

Well MidGe, Blackwater in no way forces religion on you.

Another mark of superiority imo.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You know who I hate? George Bush. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] You guys may not be smart enough to figure out why, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] either that or you're to homophobic and racist to know any better but he's such a standard American it makes me sick. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
10/10
Old 11-09-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should read the link. around page 2 or 3, the COO and founders of Blacwater are both mentined wrt Evangelical links.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should read the link. around page 2 or 3, the COO and founders of Blacwater are both mentined wrt Evangelical links.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, Blackwater does not force security agents to accept religious material. People who run businesses still have a right to have links with whatever religious leaders they so desire.

Also, these stories are really hilarious when they fall into the hands of those who really don't understand the US military setup in general.

This is a military Academy. This is not "the military."

Furthermore, I would advise his son to ditch the academy concept, enlist in the Air Force, go through basic, and accomplish the same goal in a shorter time span.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, these stories are really hilarious when they fall into the hands of those who really don't understand the US military setup in general.

Furthermore, I would advise his son to ditch the academy concept, enlist in the Air Force, go through basic, and accomplish the same goal in a shorter time span.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Specifically this is NOT true. The USAFA and it's cadets are directly administered and funded by The USAF as a part of it's training programs.
The officers are active duty memers and the cadets are as well.

OK. I have a very firm unstanding of the US Military and the Military Academy system. If even half the BS the author talks about in the article happens at the USAF Academy, it is well well well out of order.

Preaching religion in a captive academy system is ridiculous. Plain and simple. This is attempting indoctrination of the AF's future leaders not as good leaders or fighters, or managers or Americans but as Religious believers. Screw that!

Im not positive of the AF's officer accesions numbers but I'm pretty sure the majoirty of the career officers (serve past initial 5 yr comittment) are going to be made up of USAFA graduates. Trying to evangilize them early to assure the future of the force is run by a specific flavour of religious belief seems pretty UN-American to me.

Separation of church and state YO!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. I have a very firm unstanding of the US Military and the Military Academy system. If even half the BS the author talks about in the article happens at the USAF Academy, it is well well well out of order.

Preaching religion in a captive academy system is ridiculous. Plain and simple. This is attempting indoctrination of the AF's future leaders not as good leaders or fighters, or managers or Americans but as Religious believers. Screw that!

Im not positive of the AF's officer accesions numbers but I'm pretty sure the majoirty of the career officers (serve past initial 5 yr comittment) are going to be made up of USAFA graduates. Trying to evangilize them early to assure the future of the force is run by a specific flavour of religious belief seems pretty UN-American to me.

Separation of church and state YO!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. I was just making a point to MidGe, then you jumped in making a point that was utterly ridiculous, so I had to correct it.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. I was just making a point to MidGe, then you jumped in making a point that was utterly ridiculous, so I had to correct it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Blackwater point was ridiculous? hmmmmmm. I disagree.

I agree that Blackwater is not going to try and evangilize veteran SPECOPS operators. Twould most likely be wasted effort and PISS off these very serious dudes for preaching to them. BUT, I tink it's fair to discuss how Blackwater's overall mission/vision can be/is affected by it's owner/manager's religious affilation/activity.