Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 05:23 PM

Default 25NL Calling down an aggro player

Villain is 42/18/4 over 200 hands.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 ($4.30)
MP1 ($4.40)
MP2 ($21.80)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($25)</font>
Button ($13.90)
SB ($25.20)
BB ($5.50)
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($36.55)</font>

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.75, Hero calls $0.75, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

I was tempted to 3bet here but I thought I'd keep my investment low and play IP.

Flop: ($2.60) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls $1.50, UTG calls $1.50.

I have TP2K and UTG is betting this flop with ATC IMO, so I call.

Turn: ($7.10) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls $2.

The turn comes down and villain makes a small bet. I put him on big PP or something like AJ/AT, or maybe AcKc hoping to keep me around if I'm drawing to a worse flush.

River: ($11.10) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2.25</font>, Hero calls $2.25.

Well, the diamonds make it, but I'm not too worried about that (unless he has AdKd/AdQd) He makes another small bet on the river and I can't think of a reason not to call, given the pot odds. Am I a tard? lol

Final Pot: $15.60
Old 11-06-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: 25NL Calling down an aggro player

given how you under-repped your hand it's an easy river call.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:45 PM

I'm raising flop or turn, river is a clear call as played.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 PM

I probably raise the turn, and fold to a push. You have to protect against the flush draw (or even some sort of straight draw), and you still get value against a smaller Ace. Hands that crush you, aside from a weirdly played AK, will likely 3 bet here so you know you're beat.

as played i prob just call. The K doesn't change anything really, unless he has Adxd or KK, but i think KK bets larger once he's hit his miracle. I doubt there is much value in a river raise here, and i'm certainly not folding.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:49 PM

I like a 3-bet PF here because his range is pretty wide and with those stats he will call with weaker holdings.
Also nothing wrong with taking down 7.5bb with Ace high.

AQ makes TP type hands that do well against bad LAGs heads up with small SPRs. A raise can acheive this.

Im more tempted to call with a PP here for set value since if you flop a set you can let him hang himself without any concern.

As played after the flop Im s sucker for suck bets so I play pretty similar.
I might have raised the flop hoping he has Ace-rag or to charge a draw but if you think he bets a wider range than he calls then its fine imo.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:44 AM

I donīt understand why you put him on ATC at the flop, but then give him credit for hand mediocre or better because of his smallish turn bet?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:14 AM

Odd line from UTG to raise pre, check-call flop and lead turn small. If he's so aggro why's he checking this flop?

This line is probably fine. Keeps pot small and sounds like you're read is UTG is more likely to bet than to call. My instinct would be to raise the turn here, but I'm not sure that really extracts more against the villians range if we're pretty sure he'll bet the river small again with something like A5 or JJ.

Also betting pattern overall smells fishy... so maybe your line is getting the most when ahead and losing least when behind.